Rust pitted fork tubes

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have learned to never throw old parts away, but I have a set of rust pitted fork tubes from a used set of XS2 forks I bought.
Is there any reason to keep these, is there some value to them that I’m not seeing?
I’d like to trash them.

Other than the 'cheater bar' extension... can't think of any reason to keep em.

I have an extra triple tree set with one bad tube clamped in it that I clamp in a vice to hold a good fork leg I'm working on. Makes disassembly/assembly and filling with oil easier. Here it is before I installed the bad tube in the other side. It's more stable with 2 tubes in it .....

oWT67G7.jpg

That’s an interesting use. Btw, I have serious vise envy! That thing looks industrial! :D

That's an old HF vice, used to be about $35. They still sell it but it costs lots more now and is much more cheaply made. Nice features include the way the jaws rotate completely around and the pipe jaws on the bottom, but you can place the pipe jaws anywhere you want them because of the rotation. I rotate it so the fork leg sits horizontal for damper rod removal/install, vertical (like in the pic) for spring, oil, and top cap install/removal ......

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-multi-purpose-vise-67415.html

Don't bin them. If the pitting isn't bad, bad there may be someone who may have bent forks and a free postage cost fork to be re-chromed may be the way they go.............If you can't find a use offer them up for postage

Back