rusty rim

amishmike23

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys do you think this rim is still good to use? its rusted pretty bad is some spots and after I remove the rust they are pretty pitted what do you think.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368071232809.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368071232809.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368071244142.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368071244142.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 96
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368071255460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368071255460.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 82
Hey amishmike23, welcome to the forum.
Years ago, I've had to lace-up rims in worse shape than that one. Would hold rim up to bench-mount grinder with stout wire-wheel, and clear rust from the bead seating area and the middle area, focusing on the nipple holes. If the rust zones are blistered, that could be a weak area, and if the blister zone is under the bead, the tire may not seat, or run untrue. If the rust blister is around a nipple hole, the spoke nipple could pull-thru. And if the nipple hole is too rusted, the nipple may not seat right, or pull-thru. The bead seat and nipple holes in your pics don't look too bad, are those the worst rusted areas?

Hi and welcome - I would say my the look of the photos they are certainly salvageable.
It will depend if you them looking like new or not but with a wire wheel, some scotchbrite (carefule on the chrome though) and a whack of elbow grease they should come out fine. Afterwards, apply some rust inhibitor to the inside

thanks guys. yes those were the worst areas for rust so looks like I'm safe. I will hit them with the wire wheel and get all the rust out. as far as a rust inhibitor tho what would you use just some spray paint?

Yeah that rim isn't that bad. Probably just some silicone grease for rust protection. the inner tube will stick to any paint you use and the nipples would get stuck in the paint too. Don't over do the grease, you don't want the tire to spin on the rim tearing out the valve stem.

Last set I had like that, I used Rustoleum primer with a brush. Easier than masking and spraying.

thanks for all the answers guys. one more question tho since I'm getting them powder coated do I need to make sure they dont powder anything but the bearing bores in the hubs?

I spent a bunch of time chipping powder coat off a set of hubs a guy cluelessly had powder coated, he had protected the bearings. Yes there are a bunch of areas that need protection from powder coat. Trust me removing that stuff is a bastard hateful job.

Back