Safety Relay gone bad?

Oh yeah, the pickups were always mounted with screws, but some had tamper proof breakaway drive heads and had to be drilled out to change parts or timing.

gggGary and all, The yellow wire is not a separate coil in the stator windings. It just comes from the center tap where the three sets of windings come together. Each set of windings create AC voltage that is sent to the rectifier.
With the center tap the yellow wire gets more of a pulsing DC than a true AC current. As the alternator increases output the voltage on this yellow wire increases. At about 4.5 volts the relay trips. I know the older safety relays you can adjust the relay to trip at higher or lower voltages. The later relays that include the headlight switch I have not torn apart, the one I have near to hand has screws but are covered with a clear coat of some sort, this coating covers the wires where they are clamped to the relay by another screw. This makes it more difficult the get to the screws with out damage. So I don't know if they can be adjusted. Perhaps these later relays need a bit more voltage to trip.
xs650Dude63, One thing you can do is use short pieces of wire and solder these to flashlight batteries, from the positive to the negative, link several together like this. You can then use these batteries to supply various voltages in about 1.5 volt steps. One gives you 1.5, two gives 3, 3 gets you 4.5 and so on. Hook a jumper from the positive of the end battery to the yellow wire at the relay. Hook a jumper to the black wire at the relay, touch this jumper to the negative of the first battery, the relay won't do anything, move the jumper to the negative of the second battery, still nothing, keep touching the next battery negative till the relay trips.
This will tell you at about what voltage the relay trips. Each battery adds about 1.5 volts, multiply the number of batteries it takes to trip the relay by 1.5 gives you the voltage.
If you measure the voltage your yellow wire has when the bike is idling and compare it to the voltage the battery test showed the relay needing, the yellow should supply more voltage. If not trying a different relay might work if it requires less voltage than the yellow wire supplies.
Leo

Oh yeah, the pickups were always mounted with screws, but some had tamper proof breakaway drive heads and had to be drilled out to change parts or timing.

Use a cut off wheel in a dremel to cut slots in the heads and unscrew them.
:D
Just proved this is easy peasy.

Leo, I did do that I started with 3 batteries and it tripped, then I took off one battery 3 volts and it made a sound, but didn't click, so it took 4.5 volts to trip the relay.

How do I check the yellow wire with my volt meter, what setting, where to put the probes?

Yellow stator lead should be open circuit to the stator frame and about .5 ohms to any of the three whites.

XSLeo you are right. I found a factory shop manual diagram with the yellow going right to the center of the Wye. Learn (and forget) sumpin' everyday!

Back