Safety relay weirdness

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Went for a ride after work today, parked the bike(79 Special). After dinner went to go back out and starter wouldn't go. I noticed that when I turned the key on the headlight was on. Safety relay was on (ie in the running state) pulled the yellow wire from the alt. bullet connector and the relay dropped out. yellow wire back in, relay picked up. So the yellow wire had voltage on it to pick up the relay. I left the yellow wire disconnected, started the bike, idled for a min or 2 then shut it down. All back to normal operation. Has anyone seen anything like this or offer an explanation? Wish I'd put a voltmeter on that yellow wire.

Both good points lads, I'll check those out tomorrow. (Jays winning/Leafs losing atm). I've done ss rectifier mod with 2 bridge rectifiers. If a diode blew I wouldn't expect it to return to normal operation though.

Hmmmm - sounds very odd QL. Have you check INSIDE the relay cover and made sure that everything is nice and clean in there?

As for the Leafs loosing....imagine that. :hump:

My Mom's church ladies knitting group played the Leafs a few weeks ago - beat them 7-2. I told them to not run the score up, but those old bats just wouldn't lay off. Oh well, they don't call them the best golfers in the NHL for nothing...

You can check out my saga

Wow, that was quite the saga! I confess that my rectifiers are cheap Chinese, I'll definitely check those diodes and after reading that saga. Will probably go with something more robust, probably a Vishay. That windy nation 3 phase looks good too. Shipping to Canada sucks! Thanks for all the effort on that Daniel!

I hate to see a thread just left out there hanging. So to finish this one off, Daniel wins the prize on this one fellas. Changed out the rectifier bridges and all seems well. Thanks again DanielBlack

Back