Score, but...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
81_1.jpg

81_2.jpg

81_3.jpg

Scored this parts bike, what you see is what you get, $100. Engine all there, turned over when I looked at it a year ago, stuck now, but I don't think it's bad.

Lot of decent parts, lot of stuff missing, but I'm primarily interested in the engine anyway.

Now to the question: The serial number is 2FO-20xxxx, which according to the chart in the tech section makes it a '79, just like mine.

Serial number on mine is 2F0-16xxxx.

However, there are a LOT of styling touches that are different between them: Rear grab bar, tail light tucked up under the grab bar, snap-on vs. hinged seat, different front markers among other things. When I eyeballed it, I had it pegged as an '81, but the number on the sticker AND stamped on the frame match and say it's a '79.

Doesn't really matter, just curious.

Last edited:
the wheels, brakes and pipes look like my 79 but i dont recall that grab bar and tail lite in 79. id of pegged it for a 81 also.my 79 has the hinged seat also and it looks totally stock.

regardless yu got a deal. that bike would part out on ebay for waaaay more than yu got in it. heck ill bet the sissy bar\rack would go for 50 buks or more.

what year did they start the alloy grab rail?i know my 81 650 maxim had one.

Really got me scratching my head, I just posted some more details.

That sissy bar is a little scruffy, but probably would look pretty good with some buffing.

One of the things I want to look into is putting that grab rail, rear fender, tail light and license plate holder/light on my good bike. I really like the way that looks. Haven't done anything more than a quick look, not sure it's even possible. At the very least I'd probably have to lose my luggage rack, and that's too handy to eliminate.

80SG - had one just like it - was also a 2F0

Attachments

• P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 227
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 224
I'm with FB71 looks like an 80, has disk rear brake, and BS34 carbs, should not have a drain line on the float bowls. Just a brass plug like BS38s, they will have brass floats.

Skulls chart says XS650SG 79-80 for 2F0's above 200101 to 250000 But those are production dates, the model year is 1980.

Should have TCI ignition too.

Nice score for a hundred bucks. What's the possibility of getting it on the road eventually, 'cause ya know more is better.

Well, pending further investigation of the engine, I'm sure it's possible but I don't think it would be practical. Missing a lot of potentially expensive stuff. It'd be a good candidate for a custom tho.

Not really thinking along those lines at the moment, but not ruling it out either.

What I'd REALLY like to do is crate the engine up and send it to Hugh for him to work his magic on it. Budget won't support that dream at this point however.

Good news: Just went out in the garage and after 12 hours of soaking in my Magic Elixir (50/50 ATF and acetone) the engine popped free with just a little tug on the breaker bar. Rolled it over a few times, valves are opening and closing, nothing feels weird.

Gonna pop the main filter screen off it later to day, have a peek into the bottom end and try a compression check.

Initial compression check, 120 on left, 150 on right.

Squirted a bit of oil in the left cylinder and rechecked, it jumped up to 150.

Pulled the main screen, it's intact (wonder of wonders...) and no crud in the screen at all. Bottom end looks good through the hole.

Cam chain only needed a very little bit of adjustment.

I'm probably going to go ahead and tear it down at least far enough to do a valve job on it and have a look at the bores.

I'll start giving the outside a proper cleaning tomorrow.

Really got me scratching my head, I just posted some more details.
That sissy bar is a little scruffy, but probably would look pretty good with some buffing.
One of the things I want to look into is putting that grab rail, rear fender, tail light and license plate holder/light on my good bike. I really like the way that looks. Haven't done anything more than a quick look, not sure it's even possible. At the very least I'd probably have to lose my luggage rack, and that's too handy to eliminate.

Hi Downeaster,
Thing is, the lift-off seat slopes up underneath at the back to accommodate that aluminum grab rail while the hinged seat is a square cut.

Well, I pulled the engine and tore it down. Other than some carbon buildup, looked good.

Soda-blasted the head and combustion chambers and lapped the valves.

Wasn't sure about the cylinders, don't have the tools/skills to check them myself, so I took it to a place called Gardner Racing Concepts. It's the only motorcycle-savvy machine shop in the area. This guy is apparently a pretty big wheel in the motorcycle drag racing scene in the Northeast. He builds engines for all sorts of race bikes and specifically custom cranks for Harleys.

When I went to see him, I fully expected to get a polite brush-off as I'm just freshening a street engine, not spending the budget of a mid-sized country on a full race engine.

To my surprise, he took me right in, and examined things right then and there. Took a couple of valves and chucked them up in his grinder to check for straight stems and concentric heads. All good there.

He started to hone the jugs but couldn't get his Sunnen hone set up right and didn't have time to fool with it then, so I left the jugs there. This was about 10 days ago.

Called him today and the jugs are ready, just needed a light honing.

I asked him how much I owed him (he'd quoted $75 per hole for boring) and he said....

"Nothing. I don't have enough time in it to bother charging you!"

Which is baloney, he spent at least an hour with me on the day I took them up, and I'd bet he's got another hour in the jugs getting the hone set up and honing them.

I don't do much motorcycle machine work, but this guy has my business for as long as I can manage to hoist a leg over a bike. And I'll recommend him to anybody that will listen.

That's a great find!! Also wow on the builder! Not because it's free, but it's nice to have someone about like that! Well he just scored an extra customer!

Get him a nice big crate of brewskies or something, I'm sure he'll accept that!!

At the least a pizza and 12 pack sent there at lunch time, maybe a 50 taped to the box. You are still ahead, and found a place worth doing business with

At the least a pizza and 12 pack sent there at lunch time, maybe a 50 taped to the box. You are still ahead, and found a place worth doing business with

I'm thinking a gift certificate to the Lobstah place in town would work. It's a one-man show, just him and his wife, AFAIK.

Back