Scratch in Cylinder - Rebore?

XSRocket

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I picked up my '82 XS650 about a month ago. It seemed to be running alright, but was a little tough to shift. I drained the oil to change it and check the shifter springs (one of them was indeed broken), only to find a LOT of metallic shavings on the plugs and sump filter, a bunch of aluminum and plastic in the other filter, and oil so dark I don't think the PO ever changed it...

Long story short I pulled the head off to replace the cam chain tensioner, and have been checking everything else out as I go. Things seem pretty ok, even the piston rings are all in spec, but I found this scratch in the right cylinder.

It seems pretty deep - I have a feeling this means a re-bore, but I was hoping some experts could confirm for me. How bad does it look?

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_162026.jpg
    IMG_20180818_162026.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20180818_165321.jpg
    IMG_20180818_165321.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 182
First off.... welcome to the forum.:D
Your 'scratch' looks more like a crack in the cylinder wall. Either way, it ain't good. I think rather than boring it, I'd consider re-sleeving it.

Thanks!

Here's a clearer picture of the damage. It seems superficial, but maybe I'll heat up the oven since it doesn't seem like I'm putting the head back together today anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_172431.jpg
    IMG_20180818_172431.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 157
The rings are messed up, and maybe the piston on that side too (wear in groove). Cheapest thing is probably look for a cylinder that's in spec. Sleeves are more expensive than cylinders. Need cyls, rings, maybe 1 piston.

From that pic it looks like corrosion. If it sat for an extended period on the sidestand, that's where the moisture would puddle

I think the pic in my second post is a better representation. It does look like corrosion in direct light.

If that's the case, does that still look like too much to be cleaned up with just a hone and new rings? You can just feel it with a fingernail, but the edges are smooth enough that it seems like the engine's been run a while with that there.

I hadn't tested the compression - figured I would once I got it all back together and adjusted the valves.

Guess I'll start calling around about a re-bore. Should I have the new pistons and rings already before I take it to a machine shop?

Thanks for you help!

Before you go the re-bore route, contact forum member @gggGary and see if he has a matching sleeve and piston. That's probably gonna be cheaper than a re-bore.
If you do go the re-bore route... yes give them the new piston so they can bore it to match.

I think it is a crack. A scratch would have a cleaner/straighter line? If it is I (like XJ) would consider getting a whole cylinder package (gggGary may be of help).

I think it is a crack. A scratch would have a cleaner/straighter line?
Yeah, I'm still leanin' that way too. I'd still recommend pulling the sleeve and checking. Be a shame to spend all that money on a bore only to find out it won't clean up....

The threshold of human touch is about 0.001". Any surface aberrations that can be felt means a rebore. Don't order pistons/rings without first knowing the current cylinder size, and predicted final bore size...

As an update, it sounds like Gary doesn't have anything handy and I've been looking into local machine shops (anyone have a favorite in the LA area?).

Given the price of a new sleeve on Mike's, it seems like it'll come out cheaper to get a set of cruzinimage pistons and rebore what I have. I'll bring the cylinders into the shop before I order because I'm a little concerned +0.5mm won't be enough.

Just to cover my bases, is it a bad idea to use an old piston in a new sleeve? Between new rings, new sleeve, honing the old cylinder and fitting the new it's probably still less cost-effective, but I wonder.

As an update, it sounds like Gary doesn't have anything handy and I've been looking into local machine shops (anyone have a favorite in the LA area?).

Given the price of a new sleeve on Mike's, it seems like it'll come out cheaper to get a set of cruzinimage pistons and rebore what I have. I'll bring the cylinders into the shop before I order because I'm a little concerned +0.5mm won't be enough.

Just to cover my bases, is it a bad idea to use an old piston in a new sleeve? Between new rings, new sleeve, honing the old cylinder and fitting the new it's probably still less cost-effective, but I wonder.

YES - in almost every case, it is best to take the cylinder to a machine shop before ordering pistons and rings as you just never know what the final size will be. Once they've had a chance to measure everything and perhaps even bore it out to an over-size dimension - THEN - you obtain the other parts to match the cylinders.

This will add a bit of time to the entire process, but in the long run, you will save money and come out with a much better job that will be more durable in service.

Pete

... is it a bad idea to use an old piston in a new sleeve?

Generally speaking, yes.

If the old piston is undamaged and skirt measurements show no wear (highly unlikely), it can be reused.

Imagine building up a new wheel, hub-spokes-rim. Then someone wants to put a used tire on it. Dunno, almost new, or is the cord showing...

Back