seat adapting? need help/advice

batedpigeon79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 1980 special II and the seat and pan are junk! I bought a seat off of ebay that looked like it would fit perfect except the brackets are all wrong turns out it fits an (82? heritage special) is there any advise you guys can give to make it fit?

It all depends on where the tail light is mounted on your Special ll, if its mounted on the rear fender then you're sol. If its mounted on a grab rail behind the seat then transfer whatever mounting you have to the new pan. Most likely some inventive fab work will be involved.
Back to the fender mounted tail light. Those seats are side hinged and have the full rear wrap of metal on the seat pan. The swap there would be for a '78 or '79 Special seat which should be more available than a Special ll- if that's a full rear, side hinged seat pan.........
Clear? LOL

my bike accepts the side hinged seat pan. sooooo im fucked?

In a word, yes. The seat you bought has a big hole at the back to fit a brick taillight. The contour of the seat pan on the sides is too steep for your side covers. The proper seat for your bike fits 78/79 Special and 80 Special II. I don't think I mess with what you bought.

Back