Seat compatability between models

scharny61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me when the XS started on the rear hinge for the seat. I'm not that impressed with the special seat and would like to fit the flatter seat of the older models onto my special.
Has anybody put a new seat (cover / padding etc.) on the special base that looks like the older seat?
Thanks

Thinking the rear release in conjunction with the hold down fork type reciever at the front of the seat started '80/'81? I also have a Special seat that is sidehinged.
The early and Standard seats run on a horizontal line front to rear and the Specials have that slight angle down and then back up. What I've found is that if you're going to use the stock sidecovers and airboxes then that lower line needs to be maintained for aesthetics (to my eye) whether it's a Standard or a Special. That being said, no airboxes with Unis'? then who cares.
Some will take the stock Special seat and trim the foam down to remove the hump and then re-upholster. That move will keep the lines but can make for a sore ass for any passengers.

Thinking the rear release in conjunction with the hold down fork type reciever at the front of the seat started '80/'81? I also have a Special seat that is sidehinged.
The early and Standard seats run on a horizontal line front to rear and the Specials have that slight angle down and then back up. What I've found is that if you're going to use the stock sidecovers and airboxes then that lower line needs to be maintained for aesthetics (to my eye) whether it's a Standard or a Special. That being said, no airboxes with Unis'? then who cares.
Some will take the stock Special seat and trim the foam down to remove the hump and then re-upholster. That move will keep the lines but can make for a sore ass for any passengers.

Thanks for that, may have to trim mine down and hope my wife doesn't notice.:laugh:

I've found that on those early Special seats that Yamaha put a denser, square piece of foam between the seat pan and the overall foam....something that the Heritage Special models don't have...mebbe they figured it was redundant- BUT, I guess you could put a denser piece under the passengers end if there was an issue with comfort.

The '80 Special seat isn't side hinged but it has a hump like the '79, less pronounced than the '81 up that allows you to scoot back and stretch your legs. If the cover is original it has a cross hatch pattern while the '81 up has a wide roll pattern side to side. I think the difference in the shape is only in the foam. But I don't think the roll pattern cover would fit the '80 shape very well, since the step is sewn in as a separate panel.

Has anybody bought one of those seats from Vietnam made for the XS650? They're advertised on Ebay. What was the quality like? Are the pans set up properly for the standard hardware as they advertise?

78/79 special hinged seats will fit onto a standard without any modification. the standard seats can be modified to fit the 78/79 Specials. I think they have to have the latch clip changed, i think the standard one is not as long as the Special so wont clip into the seat latch.

You haven't identified your bike, it would make it easier to give you an answer and if you post a link to the seats maybe we could help out more

If you cut the hump off, buy some pressure point gell pads for the seat.

Last edited:
Yea the 80 Special 2 has a lot of the 78/79 left overs, like the seat hinging from the side, metal side-covers and the tail-light and grab rail. The Special 2's 79/80/81 have spoke wheels instead of the mags and were classed as a cheaper model $ wise

78/79 special hinged seats will fit onto a standard without any modification. the standard seats can be modified to fit the 78/79 Specials. I think they have to have the latch clip changed, i think the standard one is not as long as the Special so wont clip into the seat latch.

You haven't identified your bike, it would make it easier to give you an answer and if you post a link to the seats maybe we could help out more

If you cut the hump off, buy some pressure point gell pads for the seat.

I've got a 80 special, Oceana model (Australian) which is wired up and set up much as the 79 was I think. Points ignition, twin discs on front and mags etc.
Thanks for your input too.
I'll work on a link to the ebay seats, haven't done it before.
thanks

i have the same, 3W6 80SG and they have the clip on seats. I like the seats for them better than the 81 and later model stepped seat, i agree with xjwmx as to the comfort for riding with the 80 seat. Nothing to stop you from mounting hinges on your frame but like nj1639 said the aesthetics between the special side-covers and the standard seat doesn't look right, worse on the plastic 80 on models. Hell why not mount lugs to take the metal side-covers the standard uses, would suit the seat then, not hard to do.

We didn't get the electronic ignition on either the 80SG or the 81SH points and twin disk front brakes as standard. 81SH was the last model offered for sale here.

XS650 Club of Australia/COLOR][. Good model ID and pertains to the Aussie bikes up till 82

Thanks 650 skull. First person I've come accross that has the same model as me. Mine is 3W6 as well, and getting the right parts is a bitch. You order a part for an SG and find it's not quite right.
I'm gonna have a go at re-upholstering a seat pan I've just sourced in the US. Could be interesting.
Thanks for the info. I was going to join the club soon.
cheers
Mark

Back