seat cover

bill932

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 80 650sg. I need to get a pre sewn seat cover. It looks like all specials from 80 on have the same seat. Am I correct? Mine has the rear latch. Anybody bought a cover lately that they like?

Best of my knowledge... 80SG was a one year only seat. Later specials had the higher kick-up in the back and the 80 had a crosshatch pleating pattern as opposed to the lateral only pleating of the later bikes. Here's my 80SG seat....

6.jpg

The bare foam seat was on bike when i got it. I bought the other seat because it had the same seat mounting pan. Mabey only difference in years is seat covering.
DSCN0808.JPG
DSCN0810.JPG

They're close but not the same. Your covered seat would span '81 to '83/'84. Look at the impressed side line on your foam and compare that to the '80 pictured above.......

'80 Special and '81+ have the same pan and attachment, but the '80 is a lot flatter (compare w/ Jim's picture), the "step" is a lot less pronounced, similar to late '70s seats. The '81+ seat forces you to sit too far forward with your knees bent too tight if you aren't short. Jim is right that the '80 Special seat was a one year deal. Seems to be commonly available though.

Also, don't overlook the value of a ripped up seat as a free passive anti-theft deterrent...

I read what you say...........i reserve the right to not believe what you say

But just maybe you know more than Yamaha..............where is the reasoning and proof an 80 Special II is not a Special

^The "reasoning and proof" the Special II is not a Special is the same reason something called an apple is not the same thing as something called an orange.

The bare foam seat was on bike when i got it. I bought the other seat because it had the same seat mounting pan. Mabey only difference in years is seat covering. View attachment 195391 View attachment 195392

In the link i posted in Post #8 there is a pictorial of all models. scroll down to the 80SG, there are pics of the bike with the seat as per Jim's seat. All later specials, be Specials or Special II's,t had the more pronounced step in the seat as per the one you bought............. Your model, 80SG seat is a one model, (1980 the US had 2 models in that year), one year seat.

These brochures from Yamaha showing the bike side on is a good example of the difference seat style
1980 SG......................................1981 Special II / 81H
8178_1980-yamaha-650-special-2-submited-images-pic2fly.jpg 81 Special 2.jpg

I have a 80 650sg. I need to get a pre sewn seat cover. It looks like all specials from 80 on have the same seat. Am I correct? Mine has the rear latch. Anybody bought a cover lately that they like?
No not all 1980 specials had the same seat, there were two seats in 80. One for the SG and another for the Special II. Here is My 80 Special II as you can seat the seat profile is quite different from an SG. Not as pronounced a step and the bottom is more like a standard.
6.jpg

^The "reasoning and proof" the Special II is not a Special is the same reason something called an apple is not the same thing as something called an orange.
The Special II isn't a Special? I'm trying to work through this one but it's hurting my brain... Seems its right there in the name, "Special" II.

They're both wars, but not the same war. I didn't say Special II wasn't a motorcycle.

Back