Seat Compatability

Primetime

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow XS'ers...anyone happen to know if the seat pan for a 73 tx500 also fits a 73 tx650? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

AFAIK the only seat that will fit a 73 TX650 is the 73 TX650 seat. Believe me Bro I looked for something else that might work.

Hi Primetime and welcome,
if Gary sez it won't fit, betcha it won't fit.
But
Can it be made to fit?
How good a tinker are you? And how desperate?

I certainly appreciate the responses and am getting more out of this forum than researching the internet for sure. I'm new to the bike thing and got roped in because my 19 year old son scored a 75 xs650 in mint shape for way too cheap. Needless to say, it grew on me so I recently picked up a 73 tx/xs650 and need to square a couple things away. My dilemma is that I'm not very knowledgeable, experienced or mechanical. I'll hold out for a 73 seat that fits for now because I think that's easiest...ha! The 73 has these long forks (6" longer than my boys 75) so I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy standard forks, replace the tubes with shorter ones or pay to have them cut down, if even possible. If I can get the seat & forks squared away it will look pretty stock, which is what I want. I'll have the kid throw up a picture so you can see the chopper style xs....seems like an odd ball to me???

Extended forks and king queen seats were all the rage in the early 70s I get more early bikes WITH extended forks than stock length.

- - - The 73 has these long forks (6" longer than my boys 75) so I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy standard forks, replace the tubes with shorter ones or pay to have them cut down, if even possible. If I can get the seat & forks squared away it will look pretty stock, which is what I want. I'll have the kid throw up a picture so you can see the chopper style xs....seems like an odd ball to me???

Hi Primetime,
what extended forks do is lift up the bike's front end so it looks funny and the lifted front end increases the front wheel's trail which in turn effs up the steering.
What you can do to put things right at zero cost is drop the triple trees down the fork tubes so they stick up like football goalposts.
Well, there is an associated cost.
Because the stock bars get in the way of lifting the fork tubes more than an inch or so you gotta buy handlebar setbacks or mount clip-on bars on the fork tubes where they stick up through the upper 'tree.
But compared to what switching to stock length forks will cost, it's a bargain.

Well that's great news...my boy will really be excited cause he recommended clip on bars and I laughed at him. If that's what gets me by cheap I'm all for it :thumbsup: I'll watch some extra Canadian hockey for fredintoon to show my appreciation! I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Ohh, bad plan but you'll find THAT out post haste.

Will check on sort out my 73 seats and let you know. The seat I am thinking about has a new cover and good foam but the cover/install is just so-so.

Well, I know its always good to watch Canadian hockey so I assume you are talking about the fork idea. What is another option to consider? I'd guess there are a few ways to address but I need to stay away from any requiring lots of time or mechanical skills? Thanks for any of your insight gggGary.

Yeah Gary, me too.
Sliding the 'trees down overlength fork tubes to get a bike's stance back to normal may look kinda quaint but it's easy, cheap and reversible.
So why is it a bad plan, eh?

Leaving looks aside..... Look at the extended tubes, just above the dust wipers, tell me what you see.

I'll check it out but I see where you are going with this...the forks are 6" longer than standard so I see we could potentially have some problems. If that won't work...do I just buy fork tubes and replace them or get the whole fork system? Thanks for the thoughts on all this.

Leaving looks aside..... Look at the extended tubes, just above the dust wipers, tell me what you see.

Hi Gary,
they ain't my extended forks so I don't see nothin' but my aging memory sez there's just 6" too much fork tube.
Got a photo?

Awe I'm just butting in and smart talk'n, prime time has the idea though.
Waaay back in the day I bought a 750 'onda hardtail with 12 over tubes, cheap. Found a local machinist to take them down to 6 over and cut new internal fine metric cap threads. Long story short I did well over a hundred wheelies on that bike afterwards with no issues.
Guess it depends where you are going with the bike, but looks do matter.

Still looking for my camera to get shots of that seat, I just had it in my hands Wednesday.

Like the seat, 73 tubes, are a one or two year deal. 72-73 only If I have my facts straight lowers would be 73 only something about the damping changed??? New forking by frank tubes are available at $300 the pair, gulp. Swapping to 74-76 fork tubes and lowers might be a reasonable way to go. But needs confirming. I just got a no title 75 that will be parted out. (it's still in the van) might have usable forks.

Lots of details with the 73 I see. Let me know about the forks and seat when you chase them down. If there is anything you need me to measure or check out for fitment, I'll try.

Got some pics.

I checked this is the correct 73 pan and trim, cover and foam are replacements.
no latch or hinges on the pan.

20151016_165221 (Medium).jpg 20151016_165233 (Medium).jpg

20151016_165245 (Medium).jpg

Forks are on a 75 not SURE those tubes will work on a 73, on the 73 caps tighten the tubes to the top triple the 75 uses pinch bolts. can't use the 75 triple without mods because 74 up frame necks are longer by about 1/2"

20151016_163451 (Medium).jpg

That bike also has 34mm clip ons....

Back