Seat Ideas?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
My 78 has the "Step Up" type seat on it which is in dire need of either a re-cover or a change altogether. I am looking for some ideas for a sleeker seat but also big enough to carry a passenger. I'm interested to see what a lot of you guys have done.

The step isn't severe until '81, when it becomes like a low backrest in the wrong place. Most seats on modern bikes have a step. You won't find a replacement except maybe a cafe seat. Ewww! It might be that an eariler seat would fit your bike, but they look really old fashioned, and don't keep you in place when hitting the gas.

Cut the hump off with a $2 electric knife from one of the thrift stores.
$35 for the new cover from the upholstery shop.
Kept the original length for an '83.

Attachments

• 11-22-09_1156.jpg
    11-22-09_1156.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 91
I thought about bringing the hump down a bit but still want something for a slight support. I really like the bobber seat but it looks too short to carry a passenger.

There's a place that you can send a seat pan and a drawing to and they'll make a seat to your specifications. They do beautiful work, and they charge like it. But I really like the stock seat on your bike.

I got a new tank and side covers from a fellow XS'er on this forum and fitted it up last night. My brother is re-skinning my seat and gave me a seat off of a Ninja which I wired on temporarily so I can ride until he's finished. I have to say, I may have to make a solo seat now. It' looks pretty cool but if I do that, that rear fender definately needs to be bobbed!

My seat should be finished within the next few days so I'll post a pic of that too.

Craig

Attachments

• Blue XS.jpg
    Blue XS.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 68
Back