Seized swing are bushing

WPGxs650_brat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tryng to get the old bushings out of the swing arm. They are not plastic so the hack saw is a no go.

Tried heat and no luck. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20180602_221249.jpg
    20180602_221249.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 224
This is a very good article on the subject.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/installing-bronze-swingarm-bushings-and-setting-sideplay.51077/

Looking at your photo. I’m pretty sure your problem is the pivot tube is seized inside your bushings.
1E3F560C-BFCF-4E60-BB6A-B4D74D76B357.jpeg

Here are the components separated.
436A4E3A-719B-489C-B7A6-408ACDAF57EB.jpeg

Just from what I can see in your photo, I think you probably do have the original plastic bushings. The bronze bushings have a collar on them and I’m not seeing any in your photo. Those pivot tubes can be a bear to pound out of there some times. I haven’t had to do it, but I’ve read accounts by others that had to beat on them with a big hammer and some sort of drift. Heat would probably still help, but you may have to get primitive with it.

you may have to get primitive with it.
I thought out west they say "get western with it".

I agree the bushings you have are weird. Maybe what's left of plastic bushings. I would see if I could scratch them or carve them, if so they're plastic. If they're plastic, just get a propane torch and melt the s*** out of them and tap the pivot tube on out.

I thought out west they say "get western with it".

I agree the bushings you have are weird. Maybe what's left of plastic bushings. I would see if I could scratch them or carve them, if so they're plastic. If they're plastic, just get a propane torch and melt the s*** out of them and tap the pivot tube on out.
They are not plastic. Looks like braided steel in the middle.

I' the the process of freezing it! Then beating the crap out of it! I'm making progress (1/2-3/4" so far). I tried the impact trick. Stripped the bolts both times!

Original plastic bushings have a lip on them too, just like the bronze replacements, but the plastic ones are black in color. Yours look goldish so may be bronze with the lip broken off.

A tool I employ sometimes with success is an air chisel with a blunt rod tip, great for impacting stuck shafts out. No one seems to have mentioned the penetrating oil, you'll want lots of that applied too, along with the heat.

after a lot of heat and hate with the hammer success. I'd bet a dollar its never seen grease since the factory!

Yay! We love a success story. You just never know what you’re going to get. I just did the bushings on my 46 year old XS2. I was prepared for an experience like yours but it slid out using just my finger tips. Looked like the day it was born. Congratulations!

So, now that you've got it apart, can you tell what the bushing in there is made out of?

Back