Severe smoke out of one side!

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I must bought this 75 motor for $150 with a bunch of other new part's. I knew I was taking a gamble. I'm not too worried,,,yet. The thing has been sitting for 2 year's with the guy I bought it from. He says he just fired it up once and one of the carb's was dumping gas. Then he let it sit for 2 year's. Unknown history before that.

I put it in, put my fresh carb's on, and kicked it 5 times with the switch off by accident, :doh:,, then once I turned the switch on, it started on the first kick. :D I've only let it run for about 5 minutes due to needing a new sump gasket from changing the oil and filter's. Now I have a severe leak. Just waiting to get a new gasket.

So anyway. I know it could be just a stuck ring, or a hardened seal if I'm so lucky. Should I maybe squirt something like seafoam in the cylinder's. Maybe seafoam in the oil too. Or should I just ride it and see what happens. How should I proceed. Thanks.

white smoke?

if so then valve stem seal.

Yep. White smoke.And it smelled like oil burning of course. Looked like a masqeuto sprayer just went by. Hmmm. I haven't seen one of those in year's.

So should I just ride it and see what happens. Or do I need to tear into it before it does more damage.

mine was like that and it was both sides. had to tear it down as it will never go away, and do the stem seals. Then i did new rings, hone, cam chain, guides while i was in there.

Well I seem to have chased the smoke from one side to the other. :wtf:

Here's what I did. I hope I didn't mess up. I'm sure you guy's will tell me if I did. :D

I pulled the plug's and pored some seafoam in the cylinder's. I let it sit for about 15 minute's. I kicked it over a few times and blew out the excess. I let it set over night. I fired it up and the side that was smoking didn't smoke a bit. But now the other side is smoking. Not as bad as the other was. I thought maybe I switched plug's side for side. Put a different plug in the smoking side,,still smoking.

I put seafoam in the oil and let it run for about 10 minutes. Still smoking. I now have oil seeping out of the head gasket, but I guess that's to be expected. I'm going to change tho oil to some 50w like I read in the other thread.

Why do you guy's think the smoke went from one side to the other.

Engines will always smoke a little after seafoam if you've not done it in a while. Get new plugs just to make sure and if it's not smoking, all hail seafoam.

I recommend against changing to a single-weight oil. You've got an oil leak. There's a right way, and lots of very wrong ways to deal with this.

1) check head torque
2) replace seals
3) everything else that is the wrong thing to do

I have also found it can help to dump some seafoam in the gas tank and the oil too, to dissolve deposits. Change the oil after a 1000 miles or so after you've done that.

Seafoam helps break up the carbon deposits, which will subsequently get burnt off/out and causes some smoke. Sounds like that's part of the issue at hand.

Back