She turns over....and sparks

Unfocused

I Love Boobies
Reaction score
So I've got the most of my wiring complete. I did a test of the electric start and ignition system. With the plugs out she cranks without issue and sparks. Plugs in it seems to crank twice then the most awful sound. Clunk, clunk, grind..... free spinning starter. What could it be? I've inspected the gear the starter drives and it looks good all the way around. Am I missing something? Any tips or ideas would be great.

Thanks, Kevin.

Last edited:
Read up on starter in the tech section, the fix is usually rather easy and free but the RH cover has to come off.

This is the short version

View attachment 2079

I have never had to go beyond pinching the spring, problem fixed, shrug.
You must clip the spring into the groove from the side if you force it in from the end it will spread and loose it's tension again.

Ok. Got the gear in. The wish bone piece, the part you squeeze in the vice. Does that sit in the notch in the block casting? All the images I have found do not show enough detail on that part and my new gear/spring assembly will not fit in. I think it is supposed to go in there but I don't want to make any mistakes.

Ok. Got the gear in. The wish bone piece, the part you squeeze in the vice. Does that sit in the notch in the block casting? All the images I have found do not show enough detail on that part and my new gear/spring assembly will not fit in. I think it is supposed to go in there but I don't want to make any mistakes.

I believe 5twins posted this picture...............it shows the revised position.

Attachments

• StarterClipPositions(5twins).jpg
    StarterClipPositions(5twins).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 33
Back