She's Alive!!

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
Let the real fun begin! Well I started up my old girl tonight, after checking filters and filling her up with oil, for the first time just to test out what I had gotten done. Pma (put together from a collection parts ie. RD350 flywheel, cbr600 stator and cx500 reg/rec from ebay), Pamco (from mikesxs), Carbs (BS34s) by Oldskool (excellent work by the way) and the wealth of knowledge on this site (thanks to everyone who contibutes). Here goes a blow by blow: Turned on the fuel petcock and gas starts dribbling from the drain on the bottom of the float bowl on the right hand carb :(. Capped it off for the time being but I will pull the float bowl and have a better look at it later. Turn the fuel back on and no more drips :). Pulled the choke out and kicked a couple of times without the igition turned on to prime her a little bit. Turned on the ignition and gave her a few words of encouragement and kicked her over and ....drum roll: she goes blub blub blub and dies. A little disheartening but not tragic. Opened the fuel mixture screws a half turn each again gave her some words of encouragement and kicked it over and she runs for a few seconds. Getting better! Opened the fuel mixture screws another half turn and advanced the timing just a touch. Gave her tank a little rub talked sweetly to her and gave it another go......SHE RUNS!!!! Had to turn the idle screw up just a little to get her to idle properly but she was running under her own power now, I am stoked. I let her run few a couple of minutes (with a fan on her because I know she probably has been asleep for quite some time and don't want her to get overheated) pushed in the choke and she sounds awesome, no stumble or anything odd. Check my voltage at the battery 14.2 volts, the pma parts are working!!! Blip the throttle just a touch and she comes roaring to life (gotta love straight pipes), bringing my neighgbor over to check out the disturbance:thumbsup:(he has a habit of saying "I don't hear it running yet" on a regular basis, guess he can't say that anymore). All in all I am very pleased with the old girl, she still needs more work (I think a top end rebuild with new pistons, rings, valve guides and seals) as she blows a little oil smoke from the right cylinder. But hey "She's Alive!!".

Last edited:
Feels great don't it. On the oil burning it may or may not get better after a few hundred miles.
As they take a long nap, the cylinders get a thin layer of rust, the rings get a bit sticky. These things keep the rings from sealing. After it runs a bit the rust is polished off and the rings free up. The compression comes up, less oil burning.
Tune the carbs right and ride it and see.
Leo

congrats dude!!! i remember that feeling not to long ago. second solid kick and it fired right up. now the actual fun begins feeling out all the other stuff.

Back