shifter ?

sinsai750

snsai750
Reaction score
i got a problem the bike i bought someone put the shifter on and it had weld or a realy bad bur on it and they must of beat it on jacking up the shifter rod:doh:. now does anybody have a fix for this without having to open engine and replace the rod im runing forwards on it thats how i found this problem when i went to mount them.

If they beat it on there is a good chance the other end came loose from the shift drum. If bad enough they might have bent the shift shaft or the arm that goes up to engage the shift drum. It's best to pull the right engine cover, drain oil first, inspect the shift shaft for damage and proper placement.
Leo

A shifter doesn't come off unless the pinch bolt is entirely removed. I have seen many a first time bike mechanic get frustrated trying to pull off a shifter with only the pinch bolt loosened. This may be why there is damage.

Are you saying the splines are damaged and the shifter won't stay in position or is the clamp metal stretched and the pinch bolt can't tighten the shifter on the shaft??? No Matter here is the CORRECT way to fix either/both.

If the pinch bolt can't get the shifter tight enough to clamp down on the shaft, it is because the shifter metal has stretched around the shaft. The clamp ends contact before the clamp gets tight. This is a very common problem and riding around with the shifter loose will wear the splines eventually. Put the shifter in a vise. Tighten the vise until the ends of the split just touch. Hacksaw through the split of the clamp. This closes the inner diameter of the clamp enough to do it's job, if not saw again.

Sometimes the shifter shaft has been totally stripped of splines so even a new shifter won't stay in place. The correct way to pin this shaft is to position the shifter. Drill lengthwise into the crack between the shifter and shaft. Turn the drill bit around and stick the shank of the bit into the hole. Snap it off in the hole. Peen the end with a hammer. A bit of Loctite on the shank of the bit isn't a bad idea.

The reason I suggest this is the propper method of pinning the shifter to the shaft is drilling straight through, like 99% of folks do, results in a shear pin that can fail.

Tom

thanks to all for your help. to give a better idea is there is a weld on the shifter why i have no idea but they beat the shifter on and its upside down compaired to how i need it and when they beat it on it notched the spline so i think i'll try the drill and bolt idea thanks to all for help. you guys are a great help.:thumbsup:

Great tip. I cut some metal on the shift, made a pin, used a longer bolt, and added a nut to the bolt. The shifter is tight. Thanks for the share.

Back