Shifting through all gears by hand

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, Installed the shift cam yesterday and plunked the gearbox in. Just tried shifting through all the gears with the star shifter by hand and can't get through all of them. Is the transmission supposed to be set in a certain way. I'm totally new to a full engine rebuild and any advice would be helpful. It seemed to be difficult to do before I took it apart.
Wanna get this right before i seal the cases up for good.

Ya, that's the vid i watched before i asked this.
With the transmission out, I can shift through all of the gears like you normally would.
With the star shifter in first gear, i set the trasmission in place and i can shift through the gears nicely. Downshifting, they stick. I can only get into fourth. Then it jams. I think i have it right though. I would like to be 100% sure before i proceed.

As angus said to work properly the gears need to be turning. Keep the drive sprocket turning all the time as you try shifting. Better yet would be to keep the input shaft turning, that's the way it works when the engine is running.
Leo

Some good tips guys. I'll try them later on this evening.
I may of been turning the sprocket the wrong way cause everthing is upside down. Should that matter?
One would think it should work better when filled with oil when assembled.

In the early years when single weight oils were all that was available, a straight 30w. When the multiweights became popular they used a 20w40 oil.
Most nowdays run a 15w40 diesel oil or a 20w50 motor cycle oil.
Any oil that has the JASO MA rating for wet clutches will work fine.
When it's colder out I use the 15w40, when it gets hotter I use the 20w50.
Leo

Tried turning the input shaft while shifting. Still doesn't do what I want it to do.
I'm turning the star shifter by hand. Maybe it's not enough leverage or something. I don't know.

which one is the input shaft? Remember, when your riding, and running up and down thru the gears, the front drive sprocket is always turning counter clockwise. if you can, atach a drill or something to keep that sprocket spinning constantly while you change gears by hand, and only use the shifter. thats how it is used, thats how it was designed to work. dont over think it.

If you had the cotter pins out of the shift forks, you might want to check and make sure they are not binding anywhere. Speaking from experience, they have to be in there just right and bent down flat against the forks.

I had the pins out and replaced with new ones. They don't seem to be binding up on anything.
I tried shifting through the gears. I got through them all and back down again by spinning the output shaft counter clock wise. It's hard to keep the momentum going cause as you get into fourth it gets harder to spin by hand. Sometimes it seems like you get stuck in between gears as well if you don't give the star shifter a good firm shift by hand.
I think it should be O.K.

thats why i said use a drill or something, so you can keep turning it without stopping.
sounds like your all right though. maybe a adjustment on the star shape behind the shifter?

I don't know if there is much adjustment in the star shifter. It seems to go on one way.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
By the way angus, i'm only shifting with the star shifter with the cases opened.

Back