shock question

john1c

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on doing a brat style on my 78' Special. With me being 6' ft. tall and 190 lbs. will I bottom out the shocks if I put Honda Rebel 10.5" shocks on my bike? Will it be too low? Maybe 11" shocks? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

The Rebel shocks are adjustable like the XS ones so you could probably just set them to the stiffest setting. If they are anything like the XS shocks they will barely budge when you sit on the bike.

Progressive series 12 or 412 shocks with Metric kit ($15) for HD Sportster. Available in 11", 11.5" with 75/120 and 90/130 spring rates. Picked up a new set on flea bay $100 shipped. You can order any combination to spec for $200. Just look around.

FYI, the 75/120 is the standard spring rate for xs650.

-Boris

I have Progressive 440 series on there right now but it's touching the chain which is why I'm looking for another set. Can/Should I put a spacer/washer in there to get the clearance I need?

It says 115/155 on the springs. Any thoughts on what the ride might be?

Thanks,
John

I talked with Progressive and they said the 412 and 440 series have the same diameter covers, so how is it that your 412 doesn't hit the chain?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 93
Back