Shock recommendations

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting taller rear shocks to flatten out the look of my bike a bit. I want decent stuff, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. What suggestions do you all have?

Aaaaaaaaaand go!

Yep, the 412 is a great shock for the money. I got mine in 13.5" length, which was perfect for my needs. Talk to mike at 650central.com

Be aware that the Series 12 gas shock is fat, and you'll need to grind and hammer the chain guard to clear the spring and bottom end. The Progressive Series 14 is oil damped, but it's a decent shock for the money and a bolt-on fit. You might also want to check Hagon's offerings--a lot of bang for the buck. Some folks think highly of YSS; I have one of their monoshocks on my Suzuki GS500E, and I'm not particularly impressed by it. IMO Hagon is better value.

I was on a budget for shocks last year. New triumph bonneville shocks fit quite nicely with new rubber bushes in them. they are longer than my stockers, cant remember how long, i think around 3/4 of an inch longer. Truthfully a bit stiff on the lowest pre-load setting. but i only weigh 160lbs. But, the stiffness, isnt to bad, and they perform far better then the worn stockers did. for under 100 bucks on ebay, and low mile. I dont regret the purchase and the extra height sure made the bike tip into corners alot nicer.

perhaps when i have some extra cash laying around, ill invest in hagons or ikons. but for now im a happy camper.

Brassneck,

I emailed Michael and he told me I would need to go to the 12 series for a 13.5 in?

the 12 series uses the same damper and you can choose the spring weight. The suspension height changes the ride quality so much...that and new tires of course. Easily the best money I spent for transforming the experience.

I was on a budget for shocks last year. New triumph bonneville shocks fit quite nicely with new rubber bushes in them. they are longer than my stockers, cant remember how long, i think around 3/4 of an inch longer. Truthfully a bit stiff on the lowest pre-load setting. but i only weigh 160lbs. But, the stiffness, isnt to bad, and they perform far better then the worn stockers did. for under 100 bucks on ebay, and low mile. I dont regret the purchase and the extra height sure made the bike tip into corners alot nicer.

perhaps when i have some extra cash laying around, ill invest in hagons or ikons. but for now im a happy camper.

What a great idea. Thanks!!!

Make sure you check lengths. T100, thruxton, and scrambler are all different lengths. I think mag and spoke wheeled are different lengths too. Had to google and search trumpy forums.

Make sure you check lengths. T100, thruxton, and scrambler are all different lengths. I think mag and spoke wheeled are different lengths too. Had to google and search trumpy forums.

Good call. Where did you find the correct bushings for the bottom mounts?

I used mikes ones i had laying around, they werent super tight in the eyelets, so, i did some thin washer sandwiching on either side to expand them. Working well so far. Just take some playin.

I have 12 series shocks. They are good, but those plastic shrouds at the tops of the dampers look cheap and nasty. I might look to make up some sort of custom billet replacements sometime down the line.

I have 12 series shocks. They are good, but those plastic shrouds at the tops of the dampers look cheap and nasty. I might look to make up some sort of custom billet replacements sometime down the line.

Plastic? Mine are metal.

Plastic? Mine are metal.

My 12 series are about 2 years old, and the covers are plastic. They look like this>

Im not sure if the shock itself is different to the 412. :shrug: With the 12 series you buy the size dampers you want, then the springs you want according to stiffness. At least thats what i did.

Attachments

• 12-series-dampers_2.jpg
    12-series-dampers_2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
My 12 series are about 2 years old, and the covers are plastic. They look like this>

Im not sure if the shock itself is different to the 412. :shrug: With the 12 series you buy the size dampers you want, then the springs you want according to stiffness. At least thats what i did.

I did the same thing, but got them from 650central, Michael set them up, and I asked him for a chrome spring and chrome covers on...he said he had them...so maybe I got lucky?

I followed CDNXT650's advice and found some Bonneville shocks on eBay. They look identical to the stock shocks and are about an inch longer. They fit perfectly without having to trim the chain guard. The only thing I had to do was change the bottom bushing to fit the stock XS650 bolt. I found the bushing kit on ebay for about 1/2 what Mikes sells them for however I did not like the fit (too loose) or the cheap plastic sleeves. Here is what I did:
I pressed out the lower rubber bushing from the old shocks.
08E9349A-C431-43E9-AC6C-DFA687DDAA03_zpsqnffxuij.jpg

Pried off the rubber part and used my wire wheel to get the rubber residue off the metal sleeve.
608B22F8-B463-4296-ADE0-B8CA0F2918F8_zpsotweebcs.jpg

940403DA-A019-44EA-8F9F-F4E4C5D4C651_zpscs29sbih.jpg

I worked the old metal sleeve into one of the replacement bushings (the kit comes with three sizes) which expanded the rubber enough to fit perfectly in the Bonnie shock.
B8EE5FD4-D8BE-45F9-9807-0994C7B40355_zpsmdrtax6z.jpg

The shocks are mounted and look like they belong there. I'm very happy with the results. All in for about $75. Not bad.
BF83E350-FDFD-4446-B4D1-8E653A4B9AD3_zpsrtvf7ntb.jpg

Last edited:
I vote hagons. Great shock for the price!! I have them on my spirit 750 street tracker and they do very well for me.

Nice work. I I managed to get a steel washer on either side of the lower bushing with a lot of cursing and lube to put pressure on the bushes and expand them. I reused my old shocks on my 400...i like your idea better.!

Back