Should i be able to push the clutch rod in by hand?

jchristy456

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I finally got the top end reassembled and i was examining my current clutch situation and here's what i got. I would think that i should be able to push the clutch rod in by hand or atleast with a block of wood. its totally not moving. I was able to pull it out very easily. The clutch plates look good. Ok fellas got any ideas?

thanks for all of your help.:wtf:

No. It takes a lot of force to move it in. It has to push apart the clutch plates which have so much spring force holding them together than they can't slip. The clutch lever is a very powerful lever with the fulcrum real near the output end.

Palanca-ejemplo.jpg

File:Palanca-ejemplo.jpg

wow. ok well you made me feel awhole lot better. Thanks xjwmx! any idea what the assembly that's suppsed to push on the clutch rod should look like?

any idea what the assembly that's suppsed to push on the clutch rod should look like?

Well...the shin bone connecta to da.... You have the lever and the cable and the other end goes to a worm gear, which increases the force even beyond just the lever, and a ball bearing and the push rod then another ball bearing then a sort of internal push rod then a little thing they call the mushroom. Do you think you're missing some parts? Any online Yamaha dealer website has a blow apart diagram that shows all the parts and how they go together. If you're wondering about the worm gear, search this site for "worm gear". There's plenty.

hahahhaah right!? well to be honest i didn't tear the case down. even tho i knew i should have. this thing was in decent shape but wasnt running when i bought it. It had basically no electrical. I have high hopes for it. thanks for all of your help. i'm glad this website is around.

Well, those high hopes are not unwarranted. And when something isn't going right with it just start up a thread, preferably with pictures. Of girls.

Well lets look at thing a bit. The clutch pressure plate has 6 springs. They were about 50 lbs. stock. After all these years they may be down to 45 lb. springs. 6 x 45 = 270 lbs. That's how much push you need to put on the rod to get it to move.
If you could, I sure wouldn't want to shake your hand. I'd get a bloody stump back.
Leo

Well lets look at thing a bit. The clutch pressure plate has 6 springs. They were about 50 lbs. stock. After all these years they may be down to 45 lb. springs. 6 x 45 = 270 lbs. That's how much push you need to put on the rod to get it to move.
If you could, I sure wouldn't want to shake your hand. I'd get a bloody stump back.
Leo

and here I was thinking only you and I could squeeze those springs by hand Leo, you must be getting soft in your old age :laugh:

Back