Show me your solution for the cs 750 tank

Can anyone show me how they set up their xs 750 tank on the xs 650 frame?
pictures would be great
Need tips on how others did it.

Hi stiannb,
the XS650 frame has cups each side that are open at the back and the XS650 tank tunnel has protrusions with rubber donuts on them to fit in the frame cups.
The XS750 has the same system but backwards, with the cups inside the tank tunnel and the donuts on the frame.
The XS750 tank tunnel is sufficiently wide that it's forward-opening cups will mate with the XS650 frame's rearward-opening cups if you use a double-width rubber donut each side. That's the easiest way but where the tank fits may not be where you want it to be and as the XS750 tank is longer you'll have to make provision for the XS750 tank's rear hold-down and also carve the seat shorter.
A more difficult way is to cut out the XS750 tank's tunnel, weld an XS650 tank tunnel in it's place, cut the extra length off the XS750 tank's rear end and plate it over.
If your bike is an XS650 Special and you simply want more fuel capacity the XS650 Standard tank is ~ 4 litres larger and bolts right on.

As Fred mentioned, the 750 tank mounts just opposite of the 650.

For mine, I first drilled a hole just above/behind the stock cups on the frame (closer to the headlight), with a long bolt/washers, flipped the cups over and bolted them on...worked fine, the 750 tank was solid, but it was a bit higher than I wanted...and the frame's cups were in the way to get the pucks lower...so I drilled out the cup's spot welds and then mounted the pucks a bit lower...to my desired location.

The rear of the tank (where it mounts to the frame) needs to be bent upward to fit into the stock frame mount. I just used a long metal rod to bend it to the desired angle. Go slow here, you don't want to break the tab...a little heat may help...I didn't use any...just took my time and it worked fine.

I didn't take any pics of this process...I don't think. perhaps in my album?

It's pretty easy...good luck.

Back