Side cover torque requirement? HELP!!!

I think I was trusting Leo on the washers. What do you have to say for yourself Leo? :)

Well ill be damn... What do I do now? I was going to try to add washer in the morning... I just need to hold it together for a week or 2 at the max. Bike wont really be running much, any ideas?

Ahhh im so confused!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 126
If your sump is leaking oil, using washers or not using washers, has nothing to do with the oil leak. The sump gasket encloses the bolt hole, so there is no oil exposed to the bolt hole or bolt thread.

Leaking oil would be due to a damaged sump or sump plate surfaces (deep scratch), or perhaps when you installed the sump plate, the gasket got misalined or broken. The gasket area next to the bolt holes is very small, and it would not take much misalinement to rip that part of the gasket. The gaskets from Mikesxs (canadian branch) are a poor fit, and I have found it necessary to trim them so that they aline better.

5twins is quite right, in that the factory drawing shows no washers for the 6 bolts. Call me crazy, but I think its better to have a flat washer to help spread the force a little more even.

Yep, no washers. Don't know what I was looking at in that old post. I remember saying there I'd never seen a lock washer under a bolt head but since then that;s all I ever see...

Attachments

• 81_oilpump.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 127
Where should I get the sump gasket from? Or should I just use gasket maker on it and not put an actual gasket? And would putting washers on it today help it just for while its at my carb guys house? I need a quick fix to slow down the leak until its back in my shop and I can drain the oil and really fix the problem! QUICK FIX!!!! lol

Last edited:
I don't know what else to add. You've been given all the relevant tips. You could check the plate to see if it's warped. I guess some have that happen to them. So, new gasket, undamaged sealing surfaces, and EQUAL torque on all the bolts. I don't recommend sealer. You'll have a heck of a time getting the sump plate off next time. I just oil my gaskets with motor oil. I usually get near a half dozen removal/installs of the plate before the gasket is in need of replacement. I have two plate/filter assemblies I swap between. I have an O.E.M. gasket on one, the MikesXS gasket on the other. Both work fine and seal well.

The secret to sealing a multi fastener cover like this is not making the bolts/screws super tight but making them all the SAME tightness. If that's not working for you then there's something wrong with the cover or the sealing surfaces, or both. Or your gasket is bad. You are using a new gasket, right?

Yep, new gasket, im thinking maybe i didnt get enough of the old smashed on gasket off the plate and bottom of the motor, I shall find out more after I get off of work and take it back apart.... -.-

Oh my, if you didn't get it "eat-off-it" clean, then it will leak (oh, it does, lol). I use paint stripper to remove my old gaskets. It softens them up so they come off with gentle scraping and removes all traces of them. You're not working on a car here. Forget everything you do when working on a car. Very little applies to motorcycle work. You have to be gentle and use a little finesse.

Oh my, if you didn't get it "eat-off-it" clean, then it will leak (oh, it does, lol). I use paint stripper to remove my old gaskets. It softens them up so they come off with gentle scraping and removes all traces of them. You're not working on a car here. Forget everything you do when working on a car. Very little applies to motorcycle work. You have to be gentle and use a little finesse.

Haha consider it forgotten!!! Thanks 5twin, I hope thats my problem.

5twins has pretty much covered it.

-new gasket and crush washer.
-even torque on bolts - use a little anti seize. I clean the bolts in petrol or a mineral cleaner, make sure the threads are nice and clean first. The torque specs are all in the manuals. Don't kill the sump plug. You dont need to put everything into it...
-use a paint stripper to clean old gasket from both surfaces. A razor blade is useful here. Then i like to give it a quick run over with some wet dry 1000 grit. Look for cuts or dents that could be leak sources. If you see any - JB Weld.
- I use some light bearing grease on my gaskets.

Should be leak free.

Back