Signal lights

The signals won't flash (stock type flasher) unless you have about 13 volts or more. This means they won't flash when the engine is off. Is your engine on or off?

Even if your engine is running, but the charging system is not working (meaning you only have approx. 12.4 volts), they won't flash.

Any item in the path, that supplies the voltage to the flasher unit, can have a higher that normal resistance and cause voltage drops. The main fuse, ignition switch or signals fuse can cause this to happen. Use a VOM to measure voltage at the flasher unit.

mine wont flash unless the motor is just off idle. I have a working charging system, my own minamal wire harness. I think its due to my 7ah battery.

mine wont flash unless the motor is just off idle. I have a working charging system, my own minamal wire harness. I think its due to my 7ah battery.

No, its due to low voltage. Your alternator may only be puting out 12.5 to 13 volts at 1200 rpm.

If you want to be sure of a steady flashing at idle of 1200 rpm or even down to 1000 rpm, then you should replace the stock flasher with a "Tridon HD12".

The stock flasher is a cheap and dirty design.................only flashing when it has a large enough current flow to activate a bi-metalic strip. Low voltage=low current and no flashing.

The Tridon HD12 is based on capacitor charging time, and will flash the signals when rpm is low and voltage falls down into the 11 volts range.

im getting close to 14 volts at 1200 rpm. The bat im using is for a gate opener.
I will try a hd12. thanks.

im getting close to 14 volts at 1200 rpm. The bat im using is for a gate opener.
I will try a hd12. thanks.

That must be some different type of battery than I have ever used; can I assume its not a lead acid battery?. The stock alternator only puts out about 13 volts at 1200 rpm.

So if you have close to 14 volts at the battery at 1200 rpm , then the stock flasher should flash just fine.

Back