Simple Carb Mixture Screw and Sync Adjustments

You probably don't need to cut the spring. Simply bending the hook out flat so it attaches to the front of the tab like so should suffice .....

SpringHook.jpg

Cable rubbing on the hose shouldn't be an issue if your cable is nice and straight like it's supposed to be. If it's all bent to shit, well, that's another story, lol.

I see what you mean, to these tired eyes on my '79 it looks to me like the adapter will prevent the throttle from rotating all the way open.throttle.jpg

I am still able to get on throttle... I was talking about trimming that little hook(spring) on top of tab red arrow is pointing to. Twins is right about cable slack to... needs to be correct and you'll have no issues

Quote:
[I use a 6" long Stanley screwdriver with a 3/16" cabinet tip and come at it from the left side, tank still in place.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-66-...S_Srewdrivers_Nut_Drivers&hash=item19e604fecf[/[/I]QUOTE][/I]

5Twins posted the above in 2014 in response to a question about adjusting the carb mixture screws with the tank on or off. I looked at my set up and cannot get a flathead screwdriver to go in, as the tank is in the way. You would almost need a 90 degree screwdriver to get in there. I can take the tank off, but then would be unable to adjust the screw with the bike idling, as there is no longer a fuel supply.

How does one actually adjust the mixture screw with the tank in place?

Harbor Freight has a really nifty racheting handle screwdriver bits fit into. I'm away from the house or I'd get you a picture. Or with a pretty full tank you can block up the back for more room. Or you can get a small tank from an old lawnmower, rototiller etc. to use as an auxillary tank.

You aren't trying hard enough and/or you aren't using the right screwdriver. As 5twins specified, you want a 6" x 3/16" screwdriver. 6" refers to the length of the metal part not including the handle. The screw should turn easily, you may need to clean and lube it. You should only need to get the edge or corner of the screwdriver tip in the slot to turn it.

It's on top of the carb in front of the top cover/slide/diaphragm .....

F7niFjA.jpg

..... but it may have a metal plug over it .....

6w594s8.jpg

Right on thanks a lot. My bike will sit and idle perfect, but when I get about half way through my throttle in gear it is fumbling, like it isn’t getting enough gas, then once it works through it it feels like it hit a power band on a 2 stroke. Hoping some adgjustment will help that. Running straight pipes cut at the pegs with no baffle and cone filters.

Right on thanks a lot. My bike will sit and idle perfect, but when I get about half way through my throttle in gear it is fumbling, like it isn’t getting enough gas, then once it works through it it feels like it hit a power band on a 2 stroke. Hoping some adgjustment will help that. Running straight pipes cut at the pegs with no baffle and cone filters.

Unfortunately, I doubt this will fix your issue...sounds like a jetting issue with your main jet. Idle is all about the mix screw, but anything beyond that is moving to your main jet... Straight pipes and cone filters are pretty well discussed on here for needing to re-jet. Do a search in the box above and you'll find a ton of info on it. :)

Gentlemen...you've done it again. I had the 79 running perfect...except for a niggling popping out the exhaust on deceleration. It ran so good otherwise I didn't wznt to touch it, but, I opened both screws 1/2 turn and POOF, gone, perfect, thanks again for this report to get me to address the details. So sweet when everything is in concert.

search needle shim washer bs34 one washer works wonders on BS34 off idle stumbles.

As mentioned, mix screw adjustments probably won't help much with break-up and stumbling at half throttle. Your "cone" filters could be causing that if they are the pleated K&N style. That pleated element style pod doesn't work well on CV carbs. They don't like a tapered pod either. Straight foam pods work best.

Back