1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple question, What is this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kubes42, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Kubes42

Kubes42 XS650 Member

Really simple question, What is this and what does it do? On a 78 xs650. Was looking for the flasher unit, Not sure what I’m looking for haha. The plan is to swap with a modern one for LED turn signals.
    upload_2020-7-2_18-54-21.jpeg

Thanks!

MaxPete likes this.
  2. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That is the voltage regulator. Flashers are under the tank if I'm not mistaken.

Boog, Raymond, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kubes42

Kubes42 XS650 Member

thanks for the quick response!

MaxPete likes this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Right - and there is another little unit with a very similar looking metal cover under the right hand sidecover and that one is the starter safety relay (SSR).

The SSR is important because it prevents the starter motor from working if the engine is already running. Some folks have disconnected it with the result that if they accidentally bump the starter button, they will grind all those delicate and unreplacable starter gears to a pulp.

On the other hand, if the SSR fails, your starter won’t work no matter what - so you just take off the little cover (two extremely small JIS sheet metal screws) and clean the contacts. The job takes about 10 minutes and requires one small JIS screwdriver, a nail file and a can of electrical contact cleaner.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. Kubes42

Kubes42 XS650 Member

MaxPete good info to know for the future, thanks!

MaxPete likes this.
  6. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This is what the flasher unit removed from my XS looks like:

PICT2318.JPG

Hangs on a frame tab under the tank above the coils.

Kubes42 and MaxPete like this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

That may not be the flasher, at least not an original. The original was a round tin canister .....

[​IMG]

But yes, it is located under the tank .....

[​IMG]

MaxPete and Raymond like this.
  8. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Ah, so PO must have replaced the original when he fitted the tasteful (not) chrome bullet flashers. Sorry, that hadn't occurred to me.

MaxPete likes this.
  9. Kubes42

Kubes42 XS650 Member

Thanks I was able to find the flasher relay. Tried an electronic LED flasher from auto zone. No luck. Kinda figured that would be the case based on some other threads here. Got one that should be here Monday that will hopefully work!
    My front LEDs flash but the rear LED strip flashers basically stay illuminated. (If you look real close you can see a slight pulse.). So they are definitely working. Sounds like they just draw too small of a current so a relay that has no or a very low minimum resistance should work....I think.

anyone have luck with this one?

AUDEW 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BTMDQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J.4.EbHR0CDNR

if it doesn’t work I’ll
    Order the one that a lot of people have mentioned from super bright lights or something like that. Amazon prime is just so convenient haha

MaxPete likes this.
  10. Kubes42

Kubes42 XS650 Member

Update:

The flasher relay in the link above worked no problem, and you can adjust the speed of the flash!

11. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

North GA
    Awesome. I had to put a resistor in-line for mine to work.

gggGary and MaxPete like this.