single points setup ?

Mike's has a points cam with two lobes. You use this two lobe cam with one set of points. Using the stock coils just hook both coils to the one set of points. This fires both coils every time the pistons come up. One side is on the compression stroke, the other is on the exhuast stroke.
This is the way most electronic ignitions work.
You can also use a dual output coil instead of the stock coils. Any dual output coil with a 4 to 5 ohm primary will work. Like the points ignition Harley coils.

Actually, its not a good idea to connect 2 stock coils together in parallel. That would decrease the resistance down to about 2.1 ohms, and the high current would likely burn the points.

With single points use a dual output coil with greater than 4 ohms primary.

RG, thats true, the low ohms will burn the points.
I did the conversion after I burnt up one of my stock coils. I used an old Harley coil. It is one of the oil filled chrome cans with two outputs. It has the same screw on caps the hold the plug wires to the coil as the stock points coils.
It was cheaper than getting one stock coil. I didn't use it long. The lobes weren't ground the same, about 5 degrees apart. With the timing light I got timing marks. One mark was to the left of the stator F marks and one was to the right of the stator marks. The stator marks are about 3 degrees apart. There was a noticable amount of room between the F mark and the flash to add a degree on each side.
One set of points is easier to gap and time than two, but the difference in timing I didn't like. I guess if you figured out which lobe was off and you ground them to match it would be a good deal. I couldn't even scratch fine with a file. So I went with the Pamco.
Best thing I ever did for the bike. Well, that and the 750 kit.

And both of mine have been right on. So obviously there was a bad batch going around at one time. bike runs smooooth. I can always work with points as i am a maint. freak.

Back