Slight Surge At 70 MPH

If you've had the bike up to 4 or 5K, you've felt the effects of the larger mains. The mains bleed over into the upper midrange and installing a larger main will make the upper midrange a bit richer as well. That was pretty much the whole point of installing it. If you still have midrange surging you could shim the needle by adding a washer under the e-clip.

You better investigate that sticking throttle. I'm thinking it's something outside the carb - cable, cable routing, or twist grip assembly. These bikes are no fun if you can't whack the throttle wide open from time to time, lol.

Thanks 5twins. Your comments carry weight with me. I'll leave things alone...at least for now.

I just looked at my setup and figured out why my throttle stuck open. I was running with a rather large inline fuel filter (the cylindrical style). The balance screw caught on the filter. I'll remove it after I get the kids to school. Just didn't have the time to check it thoroughly last night. I'm good now!

Thanks 5twins. Your comments carry weight with me. I'll leave things alone...at least for now.

I just looked at my setup and figured out why my throttle stuck open. I was running with a rather large inline fuel filter (the cylindrical style). The balance screw caught on the filter. I'll remove it after I get the kids to school. Just didn't have the time to check it thoroughly last night. I'm good now!

bd, I wish I had a clean, crisp dollar bill for every time twins has pulled my fat out of the fire over the last few years. :p And don't you just love an obvious, easy fix, like with your sticky throttle?! LOVE those "DOH! There it is!" moments! Those kinds of fixes are worth a small fortune in aggravation elimination! :)

TC

An observation I have about highway driving...it seems that my clutch is slipping when I get into the throttle heavy from about 50 MPH to 70 MPH. What I'm feeling is that when I roll the throttle the engine revs faster but the bike isn't accelerating in tune with the engine revs. I'm certain that the clutch springs are stock.

Would heavier clutch springs put more pressure on the clutch plates and reduce the slipping?

It makes sense to me but wanted to run it by you guys.

Yes, and most of these bikes need them now. The originals are just plain tired after 30 years, lol. Call 3M at 650Central. He offers several different sets in varying degrees of stiffness and they're good brand name aftermarket springs. The 1st step stiffer are probably all you need, the Vesrah set, 14% stiffer than stock. Don't get the MikesXS springs, they're no good.

Back