Small battery grounding?

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im using this battery and I'm having charging issues. My bike charges fine when the lights are not on but when I turn them on I'm not getting the full 14.5 volts at 3000rpms. I'm only getting around 13 or so. How are you guys grounding this battery since it has such small wires? Right now I have the large cable(from the starter) grounding on one side of my battery box and I have another 14ga wire connected to the the negative side of the battery grounding on the other side of the battery box. Both grounds are reading 0 resistance.

i soldered a ground wire from my old wiring harness, whatever size that is. having a large ground wire won't hurt anything but i don't think it's necessary since the battery wire is so small.

make sure your brushes are long enough, rotor is 5ohms and then test the regulator

Just completed Curly's charging test. I may have a short on the yellow stator wire.:banghead::shrug:. Gordon suggested that my ground wires are too light so I'm just checking to see what others have done. I'll have to take a look and see if I have the OG ground cable.
Thanks

i've been riding mine like that for over a year. the wires get a little warm but never hot..

did you try testing the regulator like this? i can't remember if that's in the curly guide
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7556&highlight=testing+regulator

also take the left cover off, remove shift shaft guard and inspect the wires from the alternator. they sometimes wear through at this spot and ground to the motor. i just rebuilt one that had one wire completely exposed

Back