Smallest battery for stock set up? Frame off build. Next steps.

ohiorides1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Happy Saturday everyone.

I'm building a 79 special "brat" "street-tracker" and am trying to get my ducks in a row on the electric so once i have finished the frame painting, I'm not spending forever on the reassembly.

I've splurged and purchased the performance carb kit from MikesXS so I aim to keep the air box/battery area completely open.

So here is the plan:

Stock ignition
Electric start
Running Headlamp
Running Tail
Turn Signals front and back
Speedo/Tach

What is the smallest battery I can run on this set up? I am planning to set up an under seat electrics box so could fit one there (size permitting) or maybe mount one above the swing arm.

Any threads that could point me in the right direction? Maybe some links for purchases? A sealed/gel might be best but what minimum output do I need...

If you use the e-start then you want a battery the same size or better than stock electrically. The stock battery is a 14 amp-hour, about 200 cca's. Depending on type.
In a regular lead acid battery your stuck with one the same physical size. In the more modern high tech Lithium Ion batteries you can get on with all the power you need and be much smaller.
I use a Ballistic 8 cell battery. It has a bit more power than stock, but the battery is 4.5"x2.5"x4.25", and weighs 1.7 lbs. It has 240 cca's.
You might get away with one smaller but will have cold starting issues.
Leo

I think I am going to go the route of the 8 cell ballistic. Any watch outs when using a battery of this sorts? Ways you might kill it... recharging issues... compatibility with other electronics?

I think I am going to go the route of the 8 cell ballistic. Any watch outs when using a battery of this sorts? Ways you might kill it... recharging issues... compatibility with other electronics?

Hi ohiorides,
us traditionalists stick with the old-fashioned lead-acid battery.
156 years of development means there's no surprises.
I've yet to see a post here that says "my charging system ate my lead-acid battery"
Candy-assed modern replacements, not so much.

Hi ohiorides,
us traditionalists stick with the old-fashioned lead-acid battery.
156 years of development means there's no surprises.
I've yet to see a post here that says "my charging system ate my lead-acid battery"
Candy-assed modern replacements, not so much.

Hey Fred I have had no bad luck with my shorai battery it's tiny and powerful.
I am also very happy that people try new things if they didn't we would still be riding on the very proven horse. :D

Hey Fred I have had no bad luck with my shorai battery it's tiny and powerful.
I am also very happy that people try new things if they didn't we would still be riding on the very proven horse. :D

Hi Carbon,
true, but us cheapskates are too stingy to pay the extra for a modern battery, let alone find the feed and stabling costs for a horse.
And not all XS650 owners are happy trying new things, some are so deeply into nostalgia that they remove their bike's rear suspension systems.

Hi Carbon,
true, but us cheapskates are too stingy to pay the extra for a modern battery, let alone find the feed and stabling costs for a horse.
And not all XS650 owners are happy trying new things, some are so deeply into nostalgia that they remove their bike's rear suspension systems.

Yes You got that right.
I know people that have horses and unlike us they can't leave them alone in the garage or shed for months at a time. :wink2:
Nostalgia is a good thing "been watching the real McCoys how's that for nostalgia" but I will keep the suspension for sure.

If you use the e-start then you want a battery the same size or better than stock electrically. The stock battery is a 14 amp-hour, about 200 cca's. Depending on type.
In a regular lead acid battery your stuck with one the same physical size. In the more modern high tech Lithium Ion batteries you can get on with all the power you need and be much smaller.
I use a Ballistic 8 cell battery. It has a bit more power than stock, but the battery is 4.5"x2.5"x4.25", and weighs 1.7 lbs. It has 240 cca's.
You might get away with one smaller but will have cold starting issues.
Leo
Leo,

Have you had any issues with the Ballistic set up? Any watch outs you can share from experience?

The only thing is they don't handle the very cold as we got this last winter. Their operating range is like 14 to 140 degrees. It got down to 20 below a lot this winter.
My battery was very low. I had it on the charger till the charger said full but it still wouldn't crank the engine over. I may have to replace it. If so the battery is coming inside next winter. I did get it started with some help. I have a spare car battery and jumper cables.
That's on the 75 the regular battery in the 81 is at least 4 or 5 years old. I have one of those desulfating chargers I got late last summer. It's on there now. It did crank the bike a bit but would not start without some help.
Both started up fine but took a bit to settle in and act right. This weekend is supposed to be good, I'll try to ride them both and see how things are working.
Leo

Back