Smokes when warmed up

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've just noticed recently that my left side is puffing some blueish smoke once warmed up. I torqued my head bolts according to spec a week or so ago and I am going to re-torque them tighter after reading up on the subject a bit. Probably to 35 ft/lb. Now, I have a high mile bike that is in need of a head gasket, well a top end overhaul at some point in time. Thing is, I don't remember much smoking before and she runs absolutely fantastic. I have no problem riding it, hell the smoke is behind me. I don't want to risk damaging anything. I'm more interested in either eliminating the smoking or at least cutting it back. My right side doesn't smoke at all. I try to keep the bike on the center stand as much as possible. I did have it on it's side stand for several days about a week or so ago. Maybe some oil pooled in the exhaust and started burning off when it heated up. :shrug:

I hope not. I pulled the tank yesterday and noticed the left side breather tube was kinked. I corrected it and while I was at it I retourqued the head bolts to 37 ft/lb. The skys broke open as I was preparing for a test ride. The lawn work is done and the kids are napping. I'm going to take a test run shortly. Cross your fingers!

I had a nice run this afternoon. There is a minimal amount of smoke. Difinately enough to live with until winter when I give the overhaul. I also noticed that my oil leak has reduced to a minimum which is nice too. Keep your fingers crossed it stays fixed for a while.

Back