"Smurfette" - Slow build and Q&A thread

Summary of tonight: triple is straight or close to it... more to come.

Fork legs... are not.

Will still attempt to weld on the steering stop this weekend. It’s definitey out of whack.

Will cross-shop used fork legs and new ones from mikes as well.

34 or 35mm? can prolly come up with straight legs but can guarantee a bit of pitting on any of my used legs.

Legs are 35MM. I am coming up with a list Gary! need to hit up your inventory when I finish the list. If you have straight 35mm legs I will add them to the list.

Not yanking off the triple until I'm done with the steering stop. That thing is definitely out of whack. Needs about 1/8" shaved off one side and the same amount added to the other side. Bending it is not looking very easy.

Yep. Welded just on top. NOT moving though. Unless you heat it a lot which you could do if you had a torch I suppose. The bars it came with were bent, so it probably went down on those. I happened to have a spare set.

I used the welder to tack a bit of steel onto the one side and it actually came out remarkably good. Both sides stop solid now with clearance for the tank.

Yanked the front all the way apart. Triple is straight. One fork leg is what I would consider "Fine" one has a bit of a bend in it. Could probably use one fork leg or a pair if one presents itself cheaply.

I'm mocking it up now. This bike actually looks pretty awesome even in it's raw state. Carbs, Battery & battery box, wiring harness and it's complete.

My only problem is time. Kids are 4 and 6 and growing so fast it seems. I might end up shelving one of these projects for a while so i have more play time with them. Perhaps even try to make some room in the garage. We'll see.

Back