So happy, kind of sad

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, after two years of rebuilding the engine, doing a full tear down, cuts, coatings, fights with the wife, etc.....I hit a huge milestone.

I rewired the bike completely and tied my last ground to the Pamco.

Unfortunately, all my wiring testing took the Ballistic battery I had down to 12 volts...which wasn't enough to turn the starter for more than a few seconds...hope that doesn't stay the case.

Anyhow...3 kicks and a full choke and bam....she's running...then died after a spark backfire from the left pipe.

Full choke and the push button starter fired it back up which makes me think the alternator wiring is good and charging the battery....then it died.

So...the problems I need to address and questions I pose to my helpful site brothers are:

1. I took my petcock off before painting...now that it's back on, it's leaking a bit from the face...like from under the silver face that has the engraving on it with on, res, etc...it was not leaking like that prior to removing it...any ideas?

2. I thought the petcock was a vacuum type deal...I thought I remembered having gas in the tank and having the hoses disconnected, but I also might remember having had the hose simply clamped off. It's the carb floats that stop the flow of fuel from the tank isn't it?

3. Is it possible that it's running goofy since it hasn't started in a year? I definitely ran it and adjusted valves,etc after the top end rebuild...thoughts?

I'm tired and mostly excited....thanks for all the help...what a ride it's been...now I just want to ride.

Congratulations!!
Remove the selecter under it is a 4 hole washer with lips around the holes.
Turn that washer over and sometimes that will cure the weep.
Floats are to meter the fuel don't trust it as an on off valve.

In order to test your engine, always start with a fully charged battery. Once you know its fully charged, start the bike, run for a few minutes, then rev the rpm up to 3000 to 3500 rpm. At that rpm you measure the battery voltage, and you want to see about 14 volts. Proper voltage is important as to how these bikes run.

I believe there may be rubber O-rings inside the petcock. When sitting around they dry out and start to leak. The leak may stop after some time, but if not try a Search in the upper left corner. There are threads on petcock repairs. Sometimes it may be better to just buy new petcocks, rather than live with 33 year old ones.

The carb floats do not stop the gas flow. Carb floats are a metering control device, not a shut off device. The petcock is the shut off device.

Usually there is a vacuum barb on the carb intake manifolds. Normally there is a line from the barb up to the petcock. The other vacuum barb should be plugged with a rubber cap. If either barb is open, it makes for a leak mixture and poor running.

So...if I have gas in tank and no hoses attached...no vacuum and no hose to the fuel filter/....should I get a solid stream of fuel coming out? My thought was no....but then yes...but no, but yes....

Looks like the gas got the seals and such wet and expanded them overnight...the petcock was leak proof this morning. I've put it on my list of things I need to replace though.

After sitting for so long...I have to dissassemble these carbs and clean them out...I think they are all gunked up and shitty from sitting around. I probably got so excited to get it running that I tried to short cut things a bit. Oh well...back at it.

You've done a beautiful job, and that's a ride to be proud of. You started with the best looking engine ever made, so that helps. I thought it would be louder, tho.

Just as an informational post, a Vacuum petcock has three positions, PRI or prime, ON for on, RES for reserve.
On the vacuum petcocks fuel flows out when on PRI at all times. This is used to start the bike after it sets around awhile. It insures the carbs are full.
When the bike starts switch to On, or RES, depending on the amount of fuel in the tank.
When in the ON or RES positions no fuel flows unless the engine is running.
A standard petcock the positions are ON, OFF, RES. Fuel won't flow in Off, fuel flows in ON or RES, depending on fuel level.
Leo

Back