So I got a free XS650

100%, I agree fully.

I also think its important to keep as many of these great examples intact as possible. That said, if people are serious about it, they need to make it happen. Make it worth it for these guys to 'not' chop em up.

For me it was an easy choice, as mine was already half chopped when I got it.

2013-12-15%2013.43.55-L.jpg

Oh I'm serious...

This pic would look so much nicer with the third early XS in it. :thumbsup:

Everyone who doesnt want him to chop it up should be making cash offers or swaps for part built bikes.

People will.

There is a type that will refinish an old Martin guitar, with the logic being it's mine and I'll do what I want. They aren't yet fit to be trusted with it. Plenty of people would like to buy the guitar until it's ruined.

Vincent fan add the 73 to your wish list.
The candy blue completes the Quadrina.....
I have been half tempted to get a painter to do the 73 color on a 70-72 tank.......... just to mess with folks. Only the XS1 is "rare", I think I have seen that 72 was a high production year. And even the 70 isn't THAT rare.

True, but they're getting more and more rare every day just through an attrition basis.

I believe the ones that are survivors are being closely held by collectors also.

Just try doing an internet search for an XS-1 for sale...see how many you can come up with. :eek:

I'm just buying them for the nostalgia of it. I had a 70 in high school and got rid of it as a kid...always kicked myself ever since.

I love the shape of the tanks, the seat, the side panels, etc...

Probably because they look the most like an old Triumph...which I also love. (I have a restored 70 Bonneville too)

So my Bro in law said this is a 72. is that right? also I just removed the tank and drained the nasty stuff out. It really looks pretty good inside. I don't see any real rust per say. Time to clean it out. The petcocks turn. The left side was a little stubborn. I'm not going to put much into this till I get the title but I think I can get it to run. If so I'll be more motivated to work on that title. So should I pull the carbs and soak them in something? Or disassemble and clean? Oh well. The fun begins!

Yes it's a 72 I might suggest you read the carb guide and more found in the tech section here.

From the pictures the paint looks good, maybe survivor good?

More pics. I stopped at the car wash on the way home. she was dirty from 20+years in the basement.
................................. hi that bike is absolutely lovely........ enjoy ,,, do make sure you have proof of ownership from the lady ....to protect you regards oldbiker

Up at the top click the tech button, many good and several GREAT threads are grouped there for your reading pleasure!

Yeah, it would make a great rolling triangle or Omar tank street tracker.

Nice find, very nice. The bike is awesome. I am with several others that feel that bike is way too nice to modify. I would be interested if you want to sell. If you have your mind set on a build, I have a couple good XS 650's that would fit your needs. One of them I could ride to you wherever you are. Just keep it in mind.

Congrats on your find. a rare find !!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to be sarcastic in the last post of course.

It would be fun to see Vince and Knap in a public bidding war! Don't keep the fun to yourselves.

P.S.
And you'd better hurry before he cafes it. It could start within hours...

Back