So I got a free XS650

haha lol it would make a great rolling triangle now that's funny and a new one on me,
looks great your hooked now your one of us now hahahahaha!! just make sure on the title I have seen a lot of nice bikes get parted out do to no title's

If you have a bike that deserves a title..... Don't give up! It took me THREE YEARS but I finally got a clear Wisconsin title for an XS "rescued" from a forclosed house. It was an ugly process but the point is; there ARE ways to get a title for deserving bike. I have also resorted to out of state trips with the bike in the van to get a title. What's a couple of years of wrangling to save a classic?

I'm serious when I say this: I have experience getting titles on no-title bikes. Sell it to me in Utah, and I'll get a title easy (well, easy apart from cross-country shipping). If you can't get a title any other way, hit me up.

I took the carbs off yesterday. Left one is nasty. They are soaking in carb cleaner. Coincidently the left petcock was open and hard to turn. Maybe a carb rebuild coming. I hope I can get them clean enough to get her started without a rebuild as I just want to hear her run. I don't have a key either. I'm gonna pull the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith I guess to get a key. Also I'm going to clean out the tank this weekend.

At this stage I'd say a carb rebuild is not an option, rather a necessity. Read the carb guide, then re read the carb guide. Take one carb apart at a time, so you have a reference for reassembly. Clean carbs, clean gas, new plugs/wires, check and gap the points, and she should fire!

Is there anyone here on the forum who will rebuild our carbs? On some of my other forum groups we have some guys like that. I have never had much luck setting up carbs!

There are guys who will do it for you, but owning one of these old bikes is hard work. YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS, and play with some jetting options, no matter how clean someone makes them for you. Your best bet, and I'm telling you this from experience, is DO IT YOURSELF. That way when it doesn't run right, because it won't, you will be familiar enough to handle it instead of dropping e bike back off at the shop.

^Right. Plus somebody who can't fix it has the least rights of anybody to modify it. On some cosmic level. Just barely has a right to own it.

I took the carbs off yesterday. Left one is nasty. They are soaking in carb cleaner. Coincidently the left petcock was open and hard to turn. Maybe a carb rebuild coming. I hope I can get them clean enough to get her started without a rebuild as I just want to hear her run. I don't have a key either. I'm gonna pull the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith I guess to get a key. Also I'm going to clean out the tank this weekend.

If your lock has a number stamped on it that is all you need for a replacement key to be made

Not a good idea to completely soak carbs in a solution. rubber seals will be ruined and have to be replaced. Butterfly seals are the worst to replace.

Is there anyone here on the forum who will rebuild our carbs? On some of my other forum groups we have some guys like that. I have never had much luck setting up carbs!

Yes there are carb re builders, and i am sure there are some on here that would do them for you. Alternatively look up Oldskoolcarbs Price is very good for the quality of the product.

Every bike will run differently so a set of carbs built to the year/carb spec may need some miner adjustments after fitting to your bike.

^Right. Plus somebody who can't fix it has the least rights of anybody to modify it. On some cosmic level. Just barely has a right to own it.

Troll

Are you insinuating that I can't fix my own bike? That my friend couldn't be further from the truth! I am simply asking if there is a member who specializes in these carbs that is good and reasonable. I will rebuild them myself unless someone here has a recommendation of someone who is not only good but doesn't cost too much. I have been working on aircraft and other complicated machines/electronic systems for 35 years! I do most of my work and only outsource things that I don't feel like doing or require special tools I don't have.

650Skull. I only have the bottom area soaking as my floats were covered in crap. The left float wouldn't move at first. It now moves up and down freely. I'm sure after sitting for over 20 years a rebuild will be required.

Back