So i read the oil recommendation thread...

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
..and when i changed my oil i used a 20w40 but it wasn't diesel, it was regular. will this REALLY have an impact on the bike? can anyone chime in here?

i have been using this:
"Havoline 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil"

Car oil. No clutch slipping. I have never measured the running temp of the motor but it seems ok..

I believe from reading in the past that the Rotella was the only 20W40 rated for clutch use. Take it for what it's worth....

More than likely a 20w will not have friction modifiers and should be ok to use in a bike.

I picked up a 15w40 SuperTech Agri-Oil Heavy Duty Engine Oil. It doesn't mention anything about wet clutches or even JASO-M, but apparently some guys on Bob-The-Oil-Guy have ran it in XR650L's and its done very well.

Posted via Mobile

I run the Rotella and have put about 1,300 on my bike since December. No problems. I haven't run other oils, but it does a great job. When I got the bike it shifted like crap. I changed it with Rotella and it was fine. Now, I have no idea what type the PO put in it, but he knew nothing about bikes, so I'm thinking it wasn't motorcycle oil. Probably something really cheap though. I think xsleo or 5twins runs Wal-Mart brand and say it's great.

Read the API "donut" on the oil bottle. Oils with the friction modifiers an additives will say "Energy Conserving" in the ring. Don't use those or your clutch may slip. Most any 40wt or above doesn't have this rating so should be OK. Since the filtration system is so crude on these bikes, the best thing you can do is change your oil often, like every 1000 miles. That's why I consider synthetic to be a waste of money for these bikes.

APIDonut.jpg

it wasn't a motorcycle oil. it was car oil. standard 20w40, maybe 20w50 - i forget now and threw the damn bottles away... ::sigh:: what are the odds that i done fucked up? lol. from what you gents are sayin, i should be alright, yeah?

Heck, Ive only ever used car oil in every bike Ive owned ..Ive never had any oil-related clutch-slip problems!
Ive always changed the oil every 1000-1200 miles

I have to agree with RG,use it and next time go with the Rotella 15/40. Change if your clutch slips as RG suggested, and every 1000 miles as twins suggested. I run the Rotella in all my vehicles EXCEPT my Ironhead, as that requires 50w.:shrug: As twins stated, the friction modifiers will let your clutch slip.

Gordon et al... on a related note, I have Rotella 15/40 in my bike now, for the first time. Is that okay with the hot weather coming, or should I go back to a 20/50? (This may be of interest to the original poster as well.) What is the really significant difference, functionally, between 40 and 50? There must be at least a little difference, I suppose.

Thanks!

TC

Last season I used 20w50 Valvoline motorcycle oil and I had clutch disengagement problems in weather below 50 degrees ... on recommendations I read on here I put Rotella 15w40 in it this year ... still have yet to ride much since this spring has been horrendous here in Maine. I did finally get my bike out of the house Sunday and took her up to the store for gas. I can tell a difference in power from last year ... not sure if it is the oil or the mile of wire and all the relays I removed, but it did seem to pull better than last year

I run the Rotella as it is, and your weather isn't that much different than here. These engine's do not have allot of oil pressure to start with, but the Rotella holds up to high temps well.What is best for air cooled engines is a higher zinc formulation than regular motor oil (car engine). The zinc is lower in car oil for emission's & sensor problems.

Thanks, Gordon. I just wondered if that 10 points of viscosity would really make that much difference in things like clutch operation on hot weather, or whether things like "minor" leaks would be more pronounced because of slightly thinner oil.

TC

This is what I am running in mine. Available at my local Auto Zone for $3.87/qt. Says it's "Optimal frictional characteristics for maximum power transfer, smooth shifting and proper protection of the wet clutch."
p13.png

alfredo, I went looking for that stuff once at my Advance Auto, and they don't have a single quart of MC oil in the whole store. Not one. :( I can't understand that. I'm in a suburb of Baltimore. There are several motorcycles in this town...

Back