So i read the oil recommendation thread...

I think a 40 is too thin for an old air-cooled roller bearing engine with looser clearances than modern motors. Im sticking to 20w50, its always done the job.:thumbsup:
The Japs know their stuff:wink2:

This is what I am running in mine. Available at my local Auto Zone for $3.87/qt. Says it's "Optimal frictional characteristics for maximum power transfer, smooth shifting and proper protection of the wet clutch."
p13.png

Yeah that is what I ran all last year and had disengagement issues in temps below 50 (my morning commute is usually in the 40 to 50 range except in July/early August :laugh: ... of course the issues I had also may have been the fact the PO had no ball in the worm gear and two balls between the two push rods but one would think that would cause issues all the time and not just with colder weather. I am trying the Rotella and if I have problems I will switch back to the Valvoline:thumbsup:

TeeCat,
At Advance, try looking by the lawn mower aisle. That is where my Advance store keep's the motorcycle stuff. I know, it's crazy, but they do not have a whole lot of specific stuff for air cooled engines. That oil is there, I saw it today.:shrug:

By the way... just as a follow-up, I wanted to mention that I did find the Valvoline 20-50 Motorcycle Oil at Advance. I put it in on Saturday and ran it in for about a half hour before the skies darkened, but the bike seemed to like it, aside from the usual hide and go seek with neutral when at op temp.

I did notice a bit of what seems to be a top-end whine when the engine is warm, but I can't swear that this is really an entirely new thing. After having read all of the related topics on various engine noises, I'll have to check my timing chain adjustment again. I had it seemingly correct the last time (about 1mm movement of the plunger when warm ((not hot, though)), and I have plenty of room left on the adjuster, as I recall. I did the valves very few miles ago. So, I'll have to keep an eye/ear on it... I'm going to try to get a few fun miles on the bike this season.

Anyway, not to digress from the original poster's topic... just mainly wanted to follow up on the oil search. I'll try to report on how it goes.

TC

Back