so my clutch has two balls lol.

PatDoody

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so I am trying to get a project bike together I bought as a basket case. I cant get the trans to go into neutral or even free spin if I pull the clutch. Has new cable and ive adjusted it a few times as described on here. It didnt have the outer ball installed when I got it. I put on in and still no luck. I thought maybe inner ball was missing as well.

well I dont think it was and now I have two balls in there. Should I leave it and run no ball on the outer? I cant get it out for the life of me. Ive tried a magnetic screw driver, shop vac, small hook. It just gets stuck at the rod seal?

Any ideas?

pat i have some killer magnets at home. u cant peel'm off the fridge. prolly stick it to the side of a pick ad try pulling it thru.

find a small rare earth (selenium) magnet. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10713&site=ROCKLER&filter=Magnet 32907

These things grab on and don't let go. Epoxy one to the end of a small steel rod and it will pull the ball out of there.

roy

Ran out to harbour freight picked some up. They were just the right size to fit in there. Stuck one on the clutch rod and stuck it in there... Pulled both balls out! Great idea! thanks

pat i have some killer magnets at home. u cant peel'm off the fridge. prolly stick it to the side of a pick ad try pulling it thru.

Thanks Damien but these rare earth daddies worked great.

The clutch of our 650's can be very picky on oil and adjustment. Even when everything is as perfect as it can get clutch drag can still make it hard to shift or move around the bike just by pulling the clutch when the engine is not running.
With the engine running and moving under it's own power it works just fine.
Engine not running and things get iffy.
Use the right oil, that's any oil with a JASO MA or better rating. listed on the back of the jug. This means the oil has been tested and approved for a wet clutch.
Leo

Back