SO PISSED - Brand new coil from mikesxs broken!!!!!!!!!

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so after way too long my order finally arrived.
My coil (Ultimate dual output) has a snapped off positive terminal!!!!!

F$%^$%^$%&%^&%^&%^&#$ I am so mad right now, now I have a half wired ignition system and cant ride, or do anything until I get a new one.

Yes I emailed mikesxs and waiting to see what they say.

null-5.jpg

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

2nd order in a row that had something wrecked... and missing parts.

#$%

Peter

Ask them to check on the part number as well because that is not the "Ultimate" coil.

While waiting for a replacement, you can use just about any dual output coil with a 2.5 to 4.5 Primary resistance. I would imagine that Harley Davidson is well represented in Australia so you can use a HD coil OEM #31609-80, aftermarket 17131 that looks like this:

coil.jpg

and mounts like this:

coil2.jpg

I ran one of these in my faithful but departed '78/E for 10 years with an early design PAMCO. Always got me home. Cost about $45USD here.

17-6803.jpg

Yeah, pristic either was shipped the wrong coil or has the name and price wrong, but he definitely has one thing right: The coil he pictured is an absolute POS:
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6803.html
It even says in the description to be careful when you pull on the terminals, but still, that coil is pathetic. I broke one. The Limey here in Austin broke one. Another mechanic I know broke one. All of ours broke just like in pristic's picture. Basically, if you breathe on those terminals they will fall out. I am not a MikesXS basher, but really, that coil is total crap. I hope everyone doesn't make the mistake I made and reads this thread and steers clear of that particular coil.
BTW, I dug into my broken coil to see if there was any way to make a solder repair, and 1): there isn't, and 2): unbelievably poor design, no wonder the terminals fall out if you so much as look at them.

Thanks everyone,

In my rage I didn't even realize it was the wrong coil. I got charged for the 17-6903 and got a 17-6803 crap one instead. I've emailed mikesxs about it all. I just hope they send me a new coil ASAP.

By the way I can't find the 17-6903 coil on the site anymore!!! What the heck is going on there?
Im confused cause it was there when I ordered.

Fark me! This sucks.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

And if you paid via PayPal make sure you immediately log a claim with them to protect yourself (if the purchase is covered by their insurance).

Actually where else can I get the coil I need? Part number would help too.
Fuck this pisses me off!

I have a Harley dealer 5mjn away but they are a HUUUUGE rip off usually but ill check Pete's part number.

Any other places to buy and part numbers I would really appreciate.

Posted via Mobile

Think I paid by CC not Paypal :-(

Posted via Mobile

Actually, that was the better choice. In my personal experience, PayPal is absolutely no help when you get screwed by a business. Your credit card could only be better and can't be worse. For me PayPal is only for people I know, or for eBay.

On this side of the big pond, I can buy a Dyna coil for about the same money as a Mike's coil. I have no direct experience with Mike's coils. My choice is based on the chatter I pick up on these forums. I have received some very good parts from Mike's and a few crappy ones. The good outweighs the bad without a doubt.

You got your order email mate? What's the part number you ordered? Was it the 17-6903 like I did?

Peter

Posted via Mobile

1 x Oil Delivery Pipe (05-0030) = $76.00
3 x Bushing-Camshaft, Inner (05-0032) = $13.50
1 x Oil Tube Base Fitting (05-0047) = $10.00
1 x Auto Advance Rod - Ref. #256-11156 (14-0650) = $40.00
1 x Drive Pin for Auto Advance & Point cam (14-0653) = $1.10
1 x OEM type Oil Filter Strainer (Sump) (15-6500) = $33.00
1 x Oil Filter Screen (in RH engine side cvr) (15-6501) = $13.00
1 x Ultimate High Output Coil (17-6903) = $69.00
1 x Headpipe Gaskets (Pk./2) (18-0675) = $3.50
1 x Plug Wire Set 2 pc. black w/copper core (23-2902) = $5.00
1 x Breaker/Advance Housing Screw Set (49-0711) = $3.00
1 x Oil Tube Banjo Bolt (Top) - Pk/2 (49-0720) = $9.00
2 x NGK Spark Plug BPR-7EIX Iridium (50-5944) = $21.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $297.10

It even says in the description to be careful when you pull on the terminals,

I don't see where it says that. It's the only coil I've ever used and haven't had a problem with them except I've burned out two or three. Probably overheated. But ironically still measured good. When the time comes I'm going to switch to a commonly available used, very inexpensive, Honda OEM coil that's used on very many Honda bikes.

I don't see where it says that.
I swear to god it was there this morning. They must have deleted that from the description within the last 5 hours.
One more thing: So I dug into mine after the terminal fell off, further destroying it, so out of curiosity, I wiggled the other terminal. That's all I did just wiggle it, and after maybe 3 or 4 wiggles it came off too. Maybe you got yours when they were constructing them better. The terminals on the ones they are making know should surely fail from normal vibration in use.

Last edited:
Ok, so after way too long my order finally arrived.
My coil (Ultimate dual output) has a snapped off positive terminal!!!!!

F$%^$%^$%&%^&%^&%^&#$ I am so mad right now, now I have a half wired ignition system and cant ride, or do anything until I get a new one.

Yes I emailed mikesxs and waiting to see what they say.

null-5.jpg

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

2nd order in a row that had something wrecked... and missing parts.

#$%

Peter

Here's the one I got from mikes, Look familiar??? Worked fine until I started the bike. Then both terminals vibrated off.

In their defense. Its a shitty part that was designed shittily and built in a shitty fashion by shitty employees. It doesnt fit properly without modified mounting. Cause its shitty. Thats me defending them.

Dont expect much from mikes. Get the high output ultimate coil. That will be my next part purchase. With irridium spark plugs.

Best of luck.

Most of mikes parts are fine..... Some are pretty good. A few are...well.......shitty....

Attachments

• IMAG0471.jpg
    IMAG0471.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0472.jpg
    IMAG0472.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 384
I just mounted up an accel 140403 3.0 coil with a pamco, bing bang she runs perfect. They aren't cheap but can be found used sometimes. I have mounted up at least 10 of them on various bikes over the years haven't had a failed part yet.

upload_2021-9-13_15-36-58.png

For those of you following this thread, Z1 Enterprises has the dual output coils shown above at $130 a pair. Those shown were for my XS1100. The XS650 needs just one. My dealings with these folks have been very positive. All they stuff they sent me has been first quality.

Dyna Dual Output 3.0 Ohm Coils (1) DC1-1 for $67

Last edited:
I just mounted up an accel 140403 3.0 coil with a pamco, bing bang she runs perfect. They aren't cheap but can be found used sometimes. I have mounted up at least 10 of them on various bikes over the years haven't had a failed part yet.

For sure Gary..........................I have used the Accel 140403 coil for 7 years now, and its a great coil. It gives excellent blue spark and does not get hot. Well worthwhile to pay a little extra for its high quality.

Yeah, Mikesxs parts should never be confused with high quality parts.

Back