So, this drain plug fell out.. What else do I need?

That drainplug uses a small/thin 8mm copper washer.
You could use a mirror, look up in there, confirm mainjet is still there...

Gotcha. What keeps it in there? Is it threaded? I'll have to go check. My bike is currently stranded on some side road. God I hope it doesn't get stolen. X)

If you have BS38s, the main jet is under the drain plug. If you have 1980 BS34s, it's just a drain and nothing will come out but gas. The main jet is threaded in, just like the plug.

If you have BS38s, the main jet is under the drain plug. If you have 1980 BS34s, it's just a drain and nothing will come out but gas. The main jet is threaded in, just like the plug.

No idea what I have. The guy I bought it from has no idea. I need to disassemble and find some numbers. Bike is registered as a 1972, but I think he motor/carbs are 78s.. but who knows. X)

Oh, man. Panic time. Could go to h/w store (ace for example), get neoprene stopper for 5/16" or 8mm hole, shove it up there, get that bike home. The jet is threaded, usually snug fitted, should still be there. This has info that may help:

Http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Thanks man.. I have my brother coming to meet me and we'll just roll it on his truck.

www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm Will help you indentify your carbs if they are BS38's
Leo

Thanks Leo,

I think I have the '76 Carbs. I have both the bottom connecting link, and the top connecting bracket.

I believe it's the same parts as the one I listed. Just an M8 x 1.0 screw, copper washer, and main jet. I think the Main Jet is still in there.

so, now that I know which one I have.. How do I adjust idle fuel/air mix on these? Are the '76 versions air side, or fuel side?

Looking at this diagram, I think it's an air side screw, correct?

No, it's a fuel regulating mixture screw. Turning it out makes the idle circuit richer, in makes it leaner. Do you have nipples on the bottoms of your float bowls to accept an overflow hose? If not then the carbs are a '78-'79 set. Check how the needles mount in the slides, the needle and needle jet numbers to be sure. Main jet size could tell you but they get changed so often you really can't count on that.

Oh, man. Panic time. Could go to h/w store (ace for example), get neoprene stopper for 5/16" or 8mm hole, shove it up there, get that bike home.

Just cram paper wads up there or jam a stick in it.

Fix it permanently by tightening the right size screw up in it, coated with Seals-All.

God I hope it doesn't get stolen. X)

This is the best thing about not riding a Harley.

All the bs38's had a drop in needle that was held inplace by the diaphram spring. That is except the 78-79 set of carbs, they had a internal snap ring holding the needle in. Just lift off the top of the carb and spring. Look down into the slide. If there is an internal snap ring down in there they are the 78-79 set.
I found that ID a few years ago, it is kinda hard to read, I think it was Dutch first, then translated to German then to English.
It does a good job of telling the changes along the way even with the translation issues.
Leo

Ah - I was thinking BS34 drain plug. I always fall into that trap...

Cool.. Thanks again everyone. I got the bike in my brother's truck. She be safe. So now I'm just sitting here wanting to order some new parts so I can finally figure out why it's running so lean on at idle. can I just swing by ACE and get an M8x1 screw and put 'er in there? Will a standard washer be okay, or does it NEED to be copper?

^Little copper washers are common in hardware stores, especially if you're willing to adjust the size with a Dremel... I would use a standard screw coated with Seals-All and no washer at all. I never use my drain plugs, so...

Take your float bowl with you to the hardware store and see what you can match up. I think it's a fine thread though. They may not carry that. A brass washer would probably work as well. Hardware stores usually have some of them. You want something softer than steel but harder than rubber.

Ace carries a lot of brass parts, including a 1/8" tubing compression fitting that's deceptively close to that M8x1.0 pitch. It is 5/16"x28, it will fool you 'cause it'll thread right in there for about 3-4 turns. BUT, it'll leak and booger the threads over time.

My 2-cents...

You can't buy a new float bowl. Even if you had a million dollars, you couldn't buy one because they are N.L.A. My advice to you is don't fuck yours up by trying to jam incorrect bolts in that drain hole.

Back