so this spring it seems like its running really rich

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 74 with VM34's(185 main, 25 idle, needle middle slot,air screw 1.25 turns out), XS pods (junk), PMA and Points, high velocity intakes from 650 central, and stock headers with XS reverse cones, ran great all year. Kick it once and it would tickover till the gas ran out. Super reliable yadda yadda yadda.

So this spring I install new throttle cables, take it out, and its running insanely rich. Ive had the carbs off and gone through them, cant seem to find the culprit. Its smoking like a god damn two stroke. Pull the plugs and theyre wet as all hell. I cant figure out whats the matter.

I'm suspecting that the floats are set too high, but how they changed I dont know. whats the process for setting float level on the VM's again? Anything to look for? As Im typing this I realise that maby I should pull the floats and see if they've got any fues in them, but both sides at the same time?

I checked my timing and it all seems fine, advance is working well. Still have not checked my valves since evrytime I go out I inevitably get it started then realise I shoulda checked the valves before I warmed it up.:banghead:

Good. I would check the floats aren't sticking and causing over fuelling. I had a similar problem with a trail bike that was laid up for a while. I went through a few things and a hearty clean of the carbs cured it. Like you say, nothing has physically changed since it was left last autumn

Back