So whats the best way to bore out 7/8" controls to 1"

reelop19

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going with some Nissin controls on my build but my handlebars are 1". Whats the best way to go about opening that hole up?

Hi, I would use a mill with a 1" ream.
If you took it to a machine shop, Im sure they'd help you out.
Bear in mind though, that you ensure there will be enough material left to off enough strength to clamp the bars and there is no interference with the bolt holes.

yeah...even a drill press with a reamer would work. 1inch is a big reamer...but they typically don't act violent like drills do

i usually use a dremel tool and a bit of patience....

hMetal-Custom-Yamaha-xs650-retro-grips_zpsa31d218a.jpg

I'm thinking about going with some Nissin controls on my build but my handlebars are 1". Whats the best way to go about opening that hole up?

Hi reelop,
shim the bar clamps and go back to 7/8" bars.
1" bars on an XS650 are a mere affectation.

You could do like they do with fat bars on a Harley. They use fat tubing just from the riser up to the controls where they use a reduced 1 inch tube. This way you can use the stock 1 inch controls.
In you case get a 7/8 set of bars. Mount your controls to these bars. Now cut them off just a bit away from the controls. Remove the controls. Cut the same length off your 1 inch bars. Plug weld the 7/8 bars to the 1 inch bars.
Now any 7/8 controls will work.
I think 1 inch bars being of larger tubing are stiffer than 7/8 tubing. This should make the bars more vibe proof.
Leo

Back