solenoid question

jolo9534

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi guess, so im having trouble getting the motor to turn over. i was wondering if it matters that i dont have the original starter solenoid. the one im using is off a cl360. could that be the problem? thanks

You could buy this one.........

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 3.46.18 PM.png

hi guess, so im having trouble getting the motor to turn over. i was wondering if it matters that i dont have the original starter solenoid. the one im using is off a cl360. could that be the problem? thanks
A very common cause of engine not cranking quickly, is a weak battery. How old is the battery and what is its amp/hr rating? Is the battery fully charged? What is the battery voltage before you try to crank the engine? A fully charged lead acid battery should measure about 12.4 to 12.5 volts.

Only problem with the starter relay in that pic is it's not a starter relay, that the head light pig tail, It goes on the headlight bulb and hooks into the wiring harness.
On your starter RG has the most probable cause.
Once you get a good battery it should crank.
Next I would try Jumping across the to large terminals Where the battery cable and starter cable hook to your solenoid. This should crank the engine. If not it could be a weak ground path from the starter back to the battery. Or possibly a weak connection on the hot side.
Leo

I took the solenoid apart on my SG. Unsoldered the top off. Cleaned the contact bar. Reassembled. Worked like new. A bit of work but worth it.

Back