Solenoid

Crap...its the little deal that's connected to the battery and starter..probably that relay but mine looks a little different. Its on the left side.

This help? The "?" is the relay that allows the stater to work with the clutch pulled in.

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 133
I have them what is wrong with the one you have?
It has two 10mm nuts and two wires right
$10.00 plus $5.00 shipping in usa

that pic helps a lot. Its the solenoid? I think its out because to get the bike started I have to jump it from both the screws rather than just hook a battery up. Either that or some safety mechanism is preventing the starter from kicking in.

I would but I've got a couple of xs's. this one is on a '77 xs. I think I'm going to sell this one off but want it running again before I do. Just don't have the time for another project and I don't need 3 bikes in the garage.

By the question solenoid or starter rely I was questioning your spelling and meaning which I see you have corrected. They are one in the same item. "MikesXS part in that URL I sent you will replace stock solenoid or starter relay. No point in putting a used thirty year old electronic part on your bike even if you are selling it.

Just to verify before I place an order for a solenoid. This new type from mikes replaces both the original solenoid and the relay?

I'm going to try and remove as much of the unneeded electrical safety components as I can anyway so I think I can get rid of that starter relay anyway.

Not sure see what you have to wire in to use Mike's part before you start removing.

Last edited:
The solenoid IS the relay. If you want the starter to work you need the solenoid/relay. The safety relay is a good thing to have when you keep the starter. Saves wear and tear on the gears that link the starter to the crank. No matter how fast you think your thumb is, it isn't as fast as the safety relay.

Back