Solid Riser Bushings - thoughts?

wherearewe

Rub on Ya Titties
Reaction score
Looking to replace my riser bushings. The ones in there are ok but getting a bit cruddy. Was thinking about using some of Hugh's solid ones, but im wondering about vibrations. Will i end up with chronic Carpal Tunnel syndrome?:yikes:

I turned up my own bushings from a polyurethane style plastic, (was able to "obtain" if from work) my bike is also rephased, there are very few vibrations that come through the bars.

Maybe I'm just used to riding my 300cc 2t dirt bike but I really don't see all the fuss over the vibrations and mine is a stock motor with solid bushings and I've not yet confirmed the carbs are sync'd.

Most of the complaints and reasoning for the rephrase comes from the hard-tailers, and usually all those guys have solid risers. Guys with rubber-mounted risers often weight the handlebars to reduce vibration. Imo solid risers will make for more vibration.

Yamaha used rubber mounting on handlebars and footpegs for a reason.

My bike has all the stock rubber mountings, and I can ride all day long for multiple days, with no vibration problems at all.

Riders choose to give up rear springs/shocks, front brakes and rubber mountings so they can achieve the "look"....................with the "look" comes some sacrifices.

Yamaha used rubber mounting on handlebars and footpegs for a reason.

My bike has all the stock rubber mountings, and I can ride all day long for multiple days, with no vibration problems at all.

Riders choose to give up rear springs/shocks, front brakes and rubber mountings so they can achieve the "look"....................with the "look" comes some sacrifices.

True.....

Hugh's bushings have a small rubber O-ring so they're not 100% solid though they might transmit more vibration than stock. I've also noticed that stock rubber bushings will transmit more vibration when they're old, worn or loose than they will when new and properly tightened.

I think it also depends on how you plan to ride. I have a set of Hugh's risers on my desk that I plan to use on a bike I intend to just ride around town but I also run Bar Snakes in all my bars as nothing reduces vibration like adding weight. I'm perfectly happy with the stock bushings on the XS I ride the most but if I had some polyurethane lying around I'd probably do what Hotdog did. The polyurethane might transmit slightly more vibration but I doubt you'd ever notice any difference and polyurethane lasts almost forever. Especially being we just got a lathe in the shop.

It also depends on your build. Shorter bars work better with solid risers. Longer bars tend to vibrate more and need more weight and isolation. Thick bars will vibrate less than thin bars. Bigger tubing diameter and wall thickness reduce vibration. Cheap bars tend to be made from thin wall tubing which increases vibration. Though not always.

Thanks guys. I have Norman Hyde bars which are pretty heavy and i might use a bar snake too. Something to think about over the weekend:thumbsup:

Back