solid state regulator??

4stroke

4stroke
Reaction score
i have a 75 xs750 and am not sure weather i can follow curlys guid to charging because im not sure if i have a solid state or mechanical what is the best way to determine that or does curlys method work for both???

i have a 75 xs750 and am not sure weather i can follow curlys guid to charging because im not sure if i have a solid state or mechanical what is the best way to determine that or does curlys method work for both???

If your bike has the stock electrics, then it has the mechanical regulator and separate rectifier.

Curly's guide is somewhat confusing for the bypass test. It says to jump the green wire to ground, which is OK for 80 to 83 solid state units. For the 70 to 79 you would jumper battery+ to the green wire.

ok cool is there an easy way to tell if your regulator has a rectifier built in by counting wires coming from it possibly or should i look for something else

the problem is i dont no whats been done to it its been hardtailed with open pipes and basically just velocity stack which i need to change cause worried about debri getting into motor

here is a pic if i did it right new to the forum

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 136
ok cool is there an easy way to tell if your regulator has a rectifier built in by counting wires coming from it possibly or should i look for something else

Look in the "Tech" section................wiring diagrams...............75/76 diagram..........it shows the wires for the separate rectifier and separate regulator.

Your stock reg and rec look like this.
Leo

Attachments

• 70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 157
thanks i found out over the weekend that this motor must have been updated to run a reg rec combo or its a newer engine i cannot find the numbers on the motor to identifi what year motor it is

On the front of the engine, behind the front engine mount is where the numbers are found. Then use that number on any chart to identify the year.
But that won't tell you much about the charging syetem. they all fit all years.
To tell if your stator is a 70-79 or an 80 up you look at the brushes. The 70-79 use brushes like in the first pic. You will se one has a longer mount strap. This long mount strap is how the brush grounds. The second pic is the 80 up brush and they are both short mount straps, no ground.
Leo

Attachments

• 24-2650.jpg
    24-2650.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 80 up brushes.jpg
    80 up brushes.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 176
cool i will check that out i no ive read before that there would be plastic screws holding the brushes in place also which is what mine has

Back