solo seat on unmod frame

weld a front hinge type mount onto the frame.
xsGerrit-587x427.jpg

Last edited:
It really depends on how the seat is made to be mounted. Many use the hinge type front mount, but some do not.

I made my own seat for now, but the same kind of idea (solo seat). I used a piece of 1"flatbar to run up to the rear gas tank mount, drilled a hole and used the same mount,
at the back I am using 2 of the original seat rubbers to keep the seat of the frame.
To make it more secure I hand formed a piece of aluminum 3" wide which will bolt to the fender with 2 bolts - hoping this will keep the seat from rocking back and forth.

Solo seat means it is a seat for just one person. That is a solo seat also on that green bike.

I'll post pics tomorrow aft. hopefully. As far as solo seats belong on hardtails, tell that to all the riders on Triumph desert sleds, and flat trackers. I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the seat being mounted on springs or too high up off the frame.

100_1358.jpg We'll see if this pics turns up. Was my 1st attempt at a seat - ugly and uncomfortable. I'll post the newest attempt tomorrow.
Google desert sleds and flat trackers, you'll get a lot hits.

I made my own seat, actually my wife made it for me 'cuz she's cool. Just like the one on Dogger"s picture ^.

For a hinge, I bought a gate hinge and bolted it to the frame where the gas tank bolts. Got it at True-Value hardware. Short side on the frame, long side to the bottom of the seat. Works great and cost $3.00. A strap hinge will work too.

haha!! I used a gate hinge,TOOO! cant even tell.after some die grinder cleanup.

You put me to thinking... Somewhere in my parts shed is a pair of brand new chrome plated jeep CJ-5 hood hinges. Maybe I'll dig them out in a year or 2 when I'm looking for something else.

I've said this before, but I don't get the reason why you would have a sprung seat on a bike that has rear suspension. And it just looks stupid. (and redundant):shrug:

Redundancies aren't necessarily bad and can even be good but springs-- even short springs-- can be a bear without some sort of shock absorber.

Back