Solo Seat Springs

rangerider45

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some opinions on the best ride for solo seats and rigid frames. Which gives the best/softest ride? Scissor, barrel, spring shocks or air shocks??

Charlie

If you wanted a good ride then why did you hard tail it?
To get a good ride put the swing arm and shocks back on it.
I know you did the hard tail for the look, so deal with the poor ride.
Leo

:popcorn:
Drum roll please!!
Here come the hardtail haters :doh:
A guy can't ask a hardtail question without hearing from them.
:laugh:

I have a HARD TAIL with 3" coil springs rides nice with about 8lbs less air in the rear tire. at FULL air pressure it beats the CRAP outta me. I would imagine the seat air bags would make for a nice ride though.

I like my leaf spring set up. Cant even really tell its there. Havent rode it yet but just sitting and bouncing it feels pretty good.
ysunuzuj.jpg
7a4edada.jpg

well guys I been ride'n a hardtail for years now I have had no springs, Scissor springs, barrel springs, and even used valve springs but the best has to be a TCB air ride so far
then the valve springs then the scissor springs, imop. hope it helps
long live the hardtails.

yeah that looks hidden, but you have a huge ass tractor seat haha. i think they are best used on forks not seats and swing arm type suspension. Im sure there are good looking bikes out there with these mods, just not my taste is all. good looking bike though. post a thread if you dont mind. would love to see your build and follow it.
-jake

I can't remember who, but Monstercraftsmen, TC Brothers or someone else said the air shocks are real stiff and more for stability than ride. In the past I used barrel springs and they worked well, but then I realized one of the new modern seat springs may be better. So, my question came from that.

I've never seen the leaf springs for sale anywhere so thx and nice work on the bike. I lke it.

Thanks to everyone, but the sour-puss...

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/rangerider45/slideshow/Motorcycles?sort=6

Last edited:
yeah that looks hidden, but you have a huge ass tractor seat haha. i think they are best used on forks not seats and swing arm type suspension. Im sure there are good looking bikes out there with these mods, just not my taste is all. good looking bike though. post a thread if you dont mind. would love to see your build and follow it.
-jake

I'm thinking some of you have never sat on a tractor. They fit your butt, the leaf spring is great, and you can sit there all damn day without a sore butt at the end of it....You don't even need any padding.

Found my leaf springs at the local tractor supply. They are meant for a trailer, little bit of cutting and drilling and it fits my build well. And I agree the tractor seat is really comfortable. Man I need to get this thing done so i can ride it!

My son & I are working on one too and it's always too slow and then there's always a few setbacks LOL. Good luck with yours and thx again...

yeah i work on a ranch, i sat on a tractor or two...it doesnt flow with the bike. also that seat is 1950 1960 if that. i like my tank and seat to be the same or close to the same width.

nice property man! looks relaxing out there. must be a killer place to ride all of your bikes.

I happen to think it flows well with the bike.... its an emerson no. 1 seat. I narrowed it alot compared to what it was when I first found it. Originaly I was going to use barrel springs but I didnt like the side to side wobble they gave the seat.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381510694124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381510694124.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 224
yeah i thought you narrowed it. and im not saying your bike doesnt flow or is ugly, just my thoughts on tractor seats is different. still want to follow your build!

Haha its all good man. Im building it for myself so I dont really care what anyone thinks lol. Thats why I havent done a build thread I will get one started soon.

Hmm, neither one you fellas are very far away...CO and OR. Good to know there's some folks in my neck of the woods LOL. Thanks for the comments Jake, I guess you were talking about my pics link?

Back