some wiring diagrams

Question>>>.....In my image, Enlarged view of Headlight wiring diagram, can I run my blue HI beam light as an 18 gauge or does it have to be 16. Im running 16 for the rest of the headlight and tail light lines. I just happen to have a new roll of blue 18 gauge wire and dont want to have to buy a $7 roll for 18 inches of wire. I will If i need to though. I saw a chart on another thread that lead me to believe it was ok. Just looking for verification.

Plus, Im uploading 4 images of enlarged views of the overall wiring diagram. VERY SIMPLISTILY DONE,,, I hope easy to follow. Let me know if they're all screwed up. Probably not perfect.

The light gray boxes are connectors, The little red stars are splices. Also there is a tag light seperate from the tail light. I plan to have my tag on my rear axle. Left side.

Attachments

• Pamco Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Pamco Wiring Diagram.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 483
  • Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
i just installed my new pamco kit on my 82 not bad pretty easy.. the diagram says hook the green wire to one terminal of the coil and the red to the other.. do i still ground one of the terminals on the coil?

Benway, No ground on the coil, just be sure it has a clean metal to metal contact between the mount and frame. Not for electrical ground but as a heat sink.
Even more, I think that staying with the stock color wires is a good idea. It will make trouble shooting easier, and make it easier for others to help.
On the alternator to reg/rec your pic shows it right. Your full diagram is wrong. You can use red wire for the brush to reg/rec, but the reg/rec has a brown wire, and the wire from the brush is brown, better to keep the same color.
The headlight diagram is right. Using 18 gauge wire will work ok. The stock wires were 18 gauge. 16 will have less resistance and carry more current than 18 but in the short run or wire it won't matter much.
The Pamco is right.
Tail light is right.
Leo

Hey Leo,

This is what I did last night. I have power from Battery, through a fuse, then splits and goes to the Reg/Rec and the switch. I tied to the Red wire from the Reg/Rec.

From the switch back to the fuse block,.... from the fuse block the brown wire splices into the brown wire on the reg/rec and the brown brush wire.

Going through a 6 pin plug.....White to white all 3. Black to black for ground. Green to Green to the brush. Brown to Brown to the other brush.

Please let this be right.

Who Wants to See My Blister !!! ???

Attachments

• Rectifier Regulator Wiring.png
    Rectifier Regulator Wiring.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 182
Can you all take a look? A few students and I spent some time after school coming up with this solution. We are worried we are missing a fuse or 3 in this one. We want to use the original (NOS) harness, stock right and left swichgear, key ignition, OEM blinkers and relay, battery, kick only, and just the speedo. Based on other posts, we want to individually ground the components that require it. Sorry for the quality of the diagram...:D

wiringdiagrampost.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

By all means, edit as necessary/let us know what we need, are missing, etc.

http://www.tcskidscafe.blogspot.ca/

Here's one I drew up for you, you said this has to go thru inspection so made it with PARK function on the key enabled (tail light comes on)

Attachments

• XS650 Complete Project.PNG
    XS650 Complete Project.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
if you have any questions or need to modify this PM me and we'll work it out, didn't know what you were going to do with the indicator lights so put them all in... there is a way to run two small LEDS into a single socket (acts like a single bulb indicator)

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    1 KB · Views: 142
i'd be interested in others opinion is on this.

I have been following various threads about diy wiring and my view is that there is potential risks and confusion in specifying just the colour of wires for connections.

It is surely far safer to identify which specific component or terminal that you are connecting to rather than say join the green wire to the blue wire or whatever.

That always assumes that the wires are connected to the correct components .

It must be safer and clearer to say ,for example , ' join the brown wire from the switch to the red wire on the outer rotor brush ' If the wires are not the correct colour for any reason ,at least the enquirer and every other reader is perfectly clear what needs connecting to what.

if you have any questions or need to modify this PM me and we'll work it out, didn't know what you were going to do with the indicator lights so put them all in... there is a way to run two small LEDS into a single socket (acts like a single bulb indicator)

Nope, I think this will work -- going to go to NAPA to get a fuse block tomorrow, and I plan on running OEM style 2-wire single filament blinkers. No LEDs for me!

james

Here's one I drew up for you, you said this has to go thru inspection so made it with PARK function on the key enabled (tail light comes on)

nice schematic but where is the feed to the rotor ?

hey guys
Im just planning on finishing up my bike its a hardtail and i had it running before but took it down to frame to get it painted and looking good. I wanted to add a kill switch for the pamco ignition do i need a special toggle switch. Should i go to radio shack or just go to autozone and get it? what switch did you guys use
Thanks
Jeff h

hey guys
Im just planning on finishing up my bike its a hardtail and i had it running before but took it down to frame to get it painted and looking good. I wanted to add a kill switch for the pamco ignition do i need a special toggle switch. Should i go to radio shack or just go to autozone and get it? what switch did you guys use
Thanks
Jeff h

I bought mine from Mikesxs..............works good for me.

Attachments

• Kill switch.jpg
    Kill switch.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 169
I have asked a couple of questions and got great answers. I can't find this answer. I hooked up my pamco and I have an oem alt. do I need the orange,black and gray wiring that come from the lower engine area anymore?

Benway, The orange, black and gray wires coming up out of the stator are the witres to the TCI pickup mounted on the stator. You won't use them. You can remove the pick up, maybe sell it to some one who needs one.
Leo

Back