Something to keep in mind with sump plate

If only they were $6 now, I'd be buying them all day long, lol. It's more like around $20 today. But for that, you should be able to get a plate with an old blown out filter (that you can repair) still attached.

i did the silly, and overtightened one the wee little bolts and off it popped... managed to extract the bastard with no damage to cases, thankfully, but i now need replecement bolts (well, just the one actually!)... obv would measure but im at work, sans calipers and bolt, and i have googled but the only ref i can find says M6 x 24.5mm... which seems a very odd sort of length, i can only find 25mm... any ideas? ta!

i did the silly, and overtightened one the wee little bolts and off it popped... managed to extract the bastard with no damage to cases, thankfully, but i now need replecement bolts (well, just the one actually!)... obv would measure but im at work, sans calipers and bolt, and i have googled but the only ref i can find says M6 x 24.5mm... which seems a very odd sort of length, i can only find 25mm... any ideas? ta!

Hi Demorgan,
sure it wasn't 25.4mm? (That's an inch in real numbers) but WTF, a 25mm bolt will work OK.
However, like 5twins says, do them up with a torque wrench.
Just because Mr. Cheapskate has gotten away with carefully using a 1/4" sq drive 3" long ratchet & 10mm socket instead don't mean you will.
The stock bolts were made weak in the head on purpose so the head would break off before the tapped thread in the crankcase stripped out, it being easier to remove a broken bolt than to salvage a stripped thread.
But a grade 5 metric bolt from a hardware store ain't like that and will strip the crankcase thread instead of sacrificing itself.

Adam... glad you got it sorted! I think the inch pounds conversion is 84, and the recommended torque for those bolts is about 80, in case you acquire a wrench that can measure inch pounds. Mine has come in handy.

TC
12 inch pounds = 1 foot pound

thanks chaps! yes, i read that they were designed to snap off at the top if over-torqued... unfortunately i cant find a set of OEM bolts, so will have to use something else... Ive done the plate removal and replacement several times with no issues, they dont seem to need to be very tight at all to seal the gasket.. was just probably being impatient, in the cold, upside down...! but yes, torque-wrench it is this time!

Back