sorting out electrical

Ronnie_D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All:

I am sorting out my electrical and figuring out where it all goes. I have this resistor and I don't know where it mounts?

your help is appreciated.

cheers,
Ronnie_D
resistor 1.jpg resistor 2.jpg

Is your bike a 1977 by any chance? That year had a resistor as part of the Reserve Lighting Device circuit. Its really of little value for everyday running of your bike, and many lads remove the RLD. It has to do with switching the High or Low beam on if the other beam fails.

Is your bike a 1977 by any chance? That year had a resistor as part of the Reserve Lighting Device circuit. Its really of little value for everyday running of your bike, and many lads remove the RLD. It has to do with switching the High or Low beam on if the other beam fails.

yes it is a 1977. I would like to keep the safety feature for the headlight. I don't have my wiring harness yet. Do you know where it mounts on the bike?

thanks,
Ronnie_D

As mentioned that is a resistor and it was used in conjunction with RLU. When the RLU senses when one element blows it use that resistor to light the other headlight beam partially. The RLU also turns on a headlight failure indicator on the dash.
When you install the wiring harness it plugs into a matching plug on the harness. The harness only gives you enough wire to easily reach where it mounts.
You can keep it and use it or just make a jumper for the harness plug.
Leo

Back